Picked up some cheap circular mirrors and figured it’d be a good thing to play with. Didn’t notice the pads on the back nor the UPC sticker. 4 pads and the UPC sticker were removed with a heat gun.
Since I didn’t know what power to use the experimenting started. Tried 30% at 600mm/min with my Ortur Diode laser (~5.5 optical watts). I could see it did something, just not enough, also noticed I didn’t mirror the image so it would be correct on the mirrored side. Then tried 50% which worked, put some black paint on the burn - looked OK. Did 80% and that was the ticket for the diode laser. Tried a rose and painted things black.
So I designed something a little more complex, some roses and other flowers for the center and a few words and some curly ques on the side. Did a crosshatch burn which took a bit over an hour at the 80% 600mm/min.
Then with selective masking and 5 colors spent some time spray painting leaves, berries, flowers and letters.
The burned lines are thin and since it’s my first mirror burn I should have made things a bit more bold. But that’s why you do testing and trials. Still worked pretty good.
With lighting and a better angle the color jumps out. Pretty sure thicker burn lines will be better for the technique.