2 head laser support

(Mat Bellamy) #1

So My new 2 head laser just landed from China. ( although my work focus has changed and it actually might be up for sale soon)

I asked a while back and know the excellent lightburn guys were working on support.

Does the latest release support dual head?

(Rick James) #2

You have not provided information about your setup/controller nor offer that in your profile so we need to know that before we can answer your specific inquiry.

LightBurn started providing Dual Tube Support for Ruida based controllers with the release of version 0.9.00, and that work continues with additional supported Dual Tube features in version 9.03. From the original announcement:

Dual Tube Support for Ruida

This is still a bit of a work in progress, but the first pass of dual tube support for Ruida controllers is included in this release.

(Mat Bellamy) #3

that’s great thank you

(Mat Bellamy) #4

my controller is ruida 6442s

I am struggling to see in the software how to enable the second laser head to fire.

have you released any documentation yet? I have had a search and cannot find it

(Ray Kholodovsky) #5

For starters, are you connected to the laser in LightBurn?

Do you know if there are any settings in the Ruida to enable the 2nd head, and if those are already set?

As I recall, early on Oz was saying that the 2nd head stuff would show up in the cut settings window if you were connected to a machine that supported it.

(Mat Bellamy) #6

Hi ,Thanks for response I haven’t tried it connected to machine, I normally download programs via memory stick. I will try and connect direct to machine and see.
Thanks

Mat

(Oz) #7

LightBurn currently only displays the dual head options if it determines your laser supports it, and to do that it has to be connected to the machine.

(Mat Bellamy) #8

i connected to the laser and i can see the options for the 2 heads now. How do i get the second head to fire? in RD it takes the information from virtual array and calculate the distance for the second head to move. Does LightBurn work the same ?

(Rick James) #9

To have access you first need to enable the 2nd tube in the vendor settings of the controller. Once set, you should see control options appear for your cut settings.

‘Cuts’ main window:
2nd%20tube%20cut%20main%20window

‘Cut Settings Editor’ window:
2nd%20tube%20cut%20settings%20editor%20window

LightBurn provides for defining an offset for the second head in the device settings shown below.

(Oz) #10

Are you trying to use both at the same time? Or one at a time? To use the 2nd tube you click the circular button for tube two, then toggle the “enable” switch for it, and the set the power appropriately. I don’t have a dual tube system set up yet, so I’ve been going back and forth with people who do, getting them to verify functionality.

(Mat Bellamy) #11

I have been playing about today trying various things and cannot get it to fire laser 2

I have tried laser 1 on its own all works as expected laser 1 fires on its own
tried laser 2 on its own nothing fires ( but follows shape)
tried laser 1 and 2 enabled and laser 1 fires only

If I enable laser 2 only it reads the offset value written in the basic settings before following the program / shape (as if it thinks its firing)

my number 2 laser head is controlled by the z axis

both lasers fire successfully when using the pulse button

(Oz) #12

I have no idea what you mean by this. The number two laser has a second port on the Ruida controller. CN5 is the first tube, CN6 is the second. How is your second tube controlled by the Z axis?