About chinese laser controllers

Hi everone!

Recently I discovered this amazing software and I think it is really powerful.
A few weeks ago I purchased a Chinese laser machine. Specifically a Shenzhen Zhiyuan Z1610. This model is only for cutting. It does not engrave. It includes a very limited software. I have tried Lightburn and unfortunately it is not compatible with this model. After investigating, I discovered that the controller is a Powercut ZY4321 or so I think.
Are there plans to include this type of controller in future updates?
Another option its change my current controller to a compatible one but I do not know if it will work. Its worth?

Also, I want to buy another Chinese machine to engrave. An AEON MIRA 9. In this forum there are someone with the same model and it seems that lightburn is compatible with this laser.

Thank you so much guys!

You can look on this page to help identify your controller. Is this the controller you have?

https://lasergods.com/controller-dsp-identification/#Jinan_JinQiang_Laser_CNC_Equipment_Co_Ltd_POWERCUT_4311

If so, LightBurn does not support this controller at this time. You can request support for adding this using our Feature Voting site discussed here:

1 Like

Hi, Rick!
Thanks for your answer. Exactly, my controller is a Jinan JinQiang (POWERCUT 4311).

Do you think it’s worth changing the controller? I would have to make sure it was compatible.

Sorry, but I have not done a controller swap on this setup so I am not the best to answer. Maybe one of our other members can chime in.

1 Like

Looks like it would be a fairly simple swap. Ruida or Trocen make controllers that are supported by Lightburn. Whether or not the swap is worth it is a question only you can answer.

I will say it was worth it to me install an AWC708C Lite in my Full Spectrum Laser system. FSL have abandoned their legacy software/controller combo and wanted $5000 to upgrade to the new controller. So I swapped in the Trocen controller and bought Lightburn at a total cost of $430.

1 Like

Hello Isaac

Thank you very much for answering. The installation seems simple. Just for use Lightburn is worth it. I could buy a new controller but I am worried about the compatibility with the components of my machine. Remove the old controller, put the new one and that’s it?

PS: Your swap was very worth!

All of the Chinese DSP controllers work essentially the same. They are just controllers, they don’t drive the stepper motors directly. They send control signals to external drivers. Most of the Chinese laser systems use the same wiring scheme for the limit switches, water protect circuits, and stepper motor drivers.

Pretty much. Just be sure to write down all of the settings from the old controller first. Make sure to get the settings for the x/y/z-axis. They will make setting up the new controller much easier.

1 Like

Thank you very much, Isaac!

It seems easy. I will look for a RUIDA or TROCEN controller and I will think about the swap. If I do, I’ll try to post the swapping process here.

Is there someone with similar experience?

If you decide to do it, set aside a day, label all the wires, take pictures of the original wiring, and write down all the settings you can find (or take screen shots) as Isaac said. That will go a long way to getting you back up and running. Sometimes setting up the homing and motor direction settings can be a bit trial and error, but otherwise it’s fairly straightforward.

I’ve had a few requests for PowerCut controller support, but they don’t seem terribly common. The effort required to support an undocumented controller is very high, so if the user base is small it’s not really worth it.

2 Likes

Thank for answering!

Yes, I will take pictures and create labels for the cables.

I know the PowerCut controller is not very demanded. Another features have more priority.

Thanks again!

I have a laser that uses Powercut and am hoping one day that Lightburn will be usable with this machine. I have looked at changing the controller but haven’t taken that route yet.

For the original poster I also have a Aeon Mira Machine, mine is and RF Tubed machine bit it does have Rudia controller and works fine with Lightburn.