Adaware Screwed up Lighburn

To whom it may concern. Be aware that using Malwarebytes AdwCleaner Free software on your system can affect Lightburn in a very bad way. I thought I was doing a good thing for my system by scanning and deleting any Adware from my system but unknown to me at the time that it would affect the performance of Lightburn or it’s drivers. The day started fine with burning a few things, all was OK. After finishing I decided to scan my system for any nasties after which came back a notice that I may have some adware installed and advised to use Malwarebytes AdwCleaner a free tool for just such things. Great i thought, downloaded and ran the scanner, it said it found a few and prompted me to remove them, I thought nothing of it and gave it the OK. The following morning I had a few jobs to do on the Laser cutter, fired up Lightburn and proceeded to cut the jobs when I noticed something odd, I could home the laser but could’nt send it anywhere, I tried it in Current Position and it sort of worked once then I tried sending to User Origin, Nothing then i tried Using Absolute Coords and nothing again. I thought the Prefs might have screwed up somewhere so imported them and tried again still No Go. By this time I was getting a little worried then remembered that the night before I had used AdwCleaner and had not installed anything else, unfortunately the cleaner app doesn’t install and leaves no trace of itself so the only thing left was to restore the system from a backup which I did a week before and when the system restarted VOILA! Lightburn worked again. So be aware not all nice free apps serve to benefit you. This one threw a spanner into my works, Thankfully I always make a Backup with any major Windows or other updates. Hope this can help anyone with similar issues.
Cheers All

1 Like

Shouldn’t have to say this… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I have run Linux flavors for years… I get that junk all the time and it’s pure spam targeted at user of Windows platforms. It won’t even run on my machine…

I wonder who’s got all of your information and where it is now ???

Thanks for letting us know… maybe you’ll be more careful next time… At least you had a good backup :slight_smile: good for you

Good luck

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.