Added native Lightburn output to Boxes.py

Definitely bookmark material. Thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for adding this to Boxes.py. I’ve noticed a small bug in that the URL in the notes is missing “/Boxes.py”. It’s not a major problem as it’s easily added in manually but thought I’d mention it.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately the URL is generated outside of my part of the code, so i had to forward the issue to Florian Festi…

No problem, I thought that might be the case. Hopefully it’ll get fixed in the next update but it’s certainly not a show-stopper!

Update: I added group support to the Lightburn output. The changes were accepted by Florian and will be added with the next release.

3 Likes

Fantastic. My students use boxes.py and lightburn. This will be useful. Thank you.

1 Like

Can someone explain the value of this? Boxes.py provides SVGs that are easily imported and manipulated into Lightburn. It also keeps the vectors free to be modified to add openings, etc. Generating an native lightburn file would need to make assumptions about placement, layers, etc.
Maybe this is a good thing, but I don’t get it.

1 Like

That’s totally ok, you don’t have to…

3 Likes

Well, I guess if you can’t explain the value of this, then you’re right, I don’t have to get it.

1 Like

Folks,

We created this forum to assist folks in their lasing journey using LightBurn. We want to encourage learning, no matter where one is along the path. We welcome folks from around the world to come enjoy the growing repository of information we are gathering and the knowledge exchange this forum can provide. We invite folks to visit to read, ask questions, and share their knowledge and interest in lasing activities. :slight_smile:

Activities counter to these goals are not welcome.

6 Likes

Excellent thanks

1 Like

I’ve used this feature twice now, it’s a great addition and saves an immense amount of programming time. Thank You

2 Likes

Like others I am delighted with this addition. I can also understand Tom’s point of view, even if stated a little strongly. Since the beginning of software time there has been this tension between proprietary and open formats. Open source advocates believe(rightly in my opinion) that we are all better served by the interoperability that is promoted by open formats. Some companies(Microsoft in particular) aggressively close their formats in an attempt to maintain a competitive advantage by locking out competitors. Sometimes that does not work, as happened with the .pdf format, when its great utility motivated people to reverse engineer it, so that it effectively becomes open.

Lightburn, I am very happy to say, seem to follow a policy of keeping their formats open and this is what has made the Boxes.py addon possible. Kudos to them. Given the growing popularity(well deserved) of Lightburn I suspect the format will become another de facto standard.

Remember though that the growing adoption of open standards(and we benefit greatly from this) was the result of some bitter battles against the monopolist kings of proprietary standards. This has left residual ill feeling. But Rick, I am sure, understands all of this, hence his gentle hand at maintaining calm.

1 Like

Hi Peter

Thanks for your contribution, but just to clear things up: Lightburn is and never was involved into this project.
There fileformat is as closed as these from other companies. It was a piece of reverse engineering that made this happen.

So if there are any problems don’t bother them, they have nothing to do with this project.
The right place to get support for boxes.py is the official github page from boxes.py. Just open an issue there and you will get help. (A second possibility would be to post your issue here of course…).

Cheers
Klaus

I applaud your good work.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Image engrave issues