Alignment help - AM

HI guys…the old mirror alignment issue…hope i can pick someones brain …

so i have both x and y - landing on top of each other - so far so good…

now from mirror 2 to mirror 3 the spot doesnt move from a single spot…BUT the position of the beam is off centre…

so in my head the screws on the mirror mount do little to adjust the "near"position of the beam but do change the far position - am i right??

so to change the position of the beam in the image below what do i adjust,the screws on mirror 2 or the actual mirror mount position

the photo below is extremely low power on thermal paper so please don’t confuse the "shape"of the beam with any problem it is there only to show the position of the beam on the mirror 3 entry

thanks in advance
mirror3-2
mirror3

My first thought, “That is a terrible beam, looks like something other than TEM00”.

We would like to see the beam on m1 with something that actually shows the beam.

You don’t have an option here, really. If the beam is coincident close and far, that is where the beam is properly adjusted. You need to ‘catch’ the beam with m3. Meaning it has to be adjusted in both the Y and Z directions.

This is a video from Russ Sadler that is a good tact to alignment. He is using the lightweight head he designed which simplifies this. The idea and technique will help you out, I think…

Get rid of the thermal paper…

I cut disks out of water color paper…

Cut a few sheets out…

Good luck

:smile_cat: