All of a sudden getting alarm 9

You did not say you tried to Home between burns. Without telling the controller to home the machine, you should never see this message.

Assuming you did tell it to Home:

1. With the laser in the middle, power up everything.
  2. If Autohome, do both axes move? If not Autohome, Home and answer the question.
  3. If both axes move, what happens when they hit the Home switches?
  4. If/when they hit the switches, both should pull off slightly and go back onto the switch. If the switches are found, does this happen?

Hi, after finishing the previous cut i homed the lasers, put new wood in, framed, then took a phone call for maybe 2 mins (never left the room) and then went to start the cut and it shows the alarm 9. Nothing happens at all the laser head doesn’t move in any directions even with the arrows in lightburn. When i home the progress bar turns green and goes to complete then back to ready then alarm 9 shows but the laser head doesnt actual move at all.

My guess is that one of the switches is already closed or tripped. Check out both Home switches to see if either is closed or activated. See if you can get them to cycle open-closed.

1 Like

Ok how do i do that? Sorry i don’t know much about that side of things

Okkkaaayyyy…
One step at a time:
Do you have mechanical or electronic sensor switches?
Mechanical = have a lever, and possibly a roller on the end.
Sensor = A small tab of metal gets near or passes thru the switch area.

The switches will be located at one end of the Xaxis and one at the end of the Yaxis travels. Often front-left, sometimes right-rear, and occasionally rear-left. You should be able to move the laser head towards the switches. Rarely will there be more switches at the other ends of travel.

Mechanical:
Power off. Move the head until it nearly reaches the switches. Then slowly move into each one. You should hear an audible click as the switch closes. You should be able to travel a bit more before the frame says that is all you get. Then you hear another click as you pull it back. Check both switches.

Sensor:
Disable Auto-home on Startup (Device Settings). Power down the laser. manually move the laser to the home switches. Power up the laser. Look at the home switches and see if there is a light on them lit up. Jog the laser away from the switches. see if the lights go out, come on, or change color.

It worked or did not work is not the answer we are looking for. Tell us Everything you did and the result of each action.

Be patient. You can do this!

Ok so, Im sure i have sensored limit switches as it doesnt home and bounce back off and on the homing point like my diode laser does, instead it slowly goes into place when homing, what i just did now was turn of auto home in lightburn and closed and restarted lightburn (wasnt sure if restart was needed but did it anyway) i placed the head in home position and turned the laser on. I looked for lights but there arent any (as far as im aware the limit switches i have dont have lights at all) i jogged the laser away from the home position towards the front of the machine, the laser head didnt move at all and no lights on switches, i jogged the laser head across to the middle of the bed , the laser head didnt move and no lights on switches, then i returned it to home (me moving the head triggered alarm 1 sudden jolt) i told it to home via lightburn and this tine instead of alarm 9 showing it showed alarm 8 cycle failed to clear limit switches. The laser makes no sound of anything trying to move or any unusual sounds. Just the head doesnt actually move at all. I hope i did this correctly my apologies if i didnt or didnt give enough detail

With the lights off and through my phone camera i can see the light on the sensors is a purple colour on both.

Let us work with this part. In your case, this alarm means you traveled too far and hit an out of bounds limit switch. Do the same thing you did here, but only one axis at a time. If the first try trips the alarm, reset everything and do the other axis. If that one also gives the alarm, that means both switches are being energized.

The next test will to see if they deenergize when you pull off the switches. Again, one at a time. With Auto-home still off, power up the laser and Click on Set Origin. Press the Jog button for one axis and report what happens. Machine moves or not? Any alarm message?
Repeat this entire step for the other axis and again report the results.

Ok so the results of the set origin and jog ect. The laser head didnt move again no odd sounds ect, no alarms triggered on lightburn. Its almost like it thinks it did move as the progress bar turned green as it usual would and then finished but nothing actually moved. I will attach a photo of the console screen

That was the second paragraph. I asked for the first paragraph to determine if a limit switch was defective and causing your Alarm 9.

"At Grbl startup, error 9 is normal: When powering up, Grbl enters Alarm mode to force the origin point because it cannot know its position. To unlock, all you have to do is run the homing procedure (Grbl command $H). "

Both switches have to be good to get past this alarm. That is why checking them is important.

Oh sorry i missed the first paragraph somehow. So im unable to look for the lights on the switches when its in home position but i did both axis separately as you stated too in both home postion and with it not in home position (i got a bit confused so did both) so this is what i did, turn on laser, jog forward and i got an error 9 message then reset and jogged across and got an error 9 message then i did the same again but with the laser not in home position and both times got the error 9 message.

Oh and the laser head didnt move at all with any of the jogging attempts.

A couple of other postings for K40 machines have similar issues. Is there a chance you have a Smoothieware controller board that uses an SD card? If so, try removing and reinserting the card a few times.

I have the v2 monoport board it doesnt have the sd card ect. I just now managed to get it to home but really i didnt even do anything. Im almost positive its a faulty board especially now that it randomly started working again. Ive contacted monoport because it has a one year warranty but i have a feeling they are going to say they wont replace it because the replys im getting so far seem to be a bit like they are going to try and get out of sending a replacement.

Thank you so much for taking all this time to help me and talking me through everything step by step because of my lack of knowledge on these types of things i very much appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

No worry, at some point, it becomes a personal challenge.

Good luck on getting a replacement board. You just have to wear them down with emails.

In all the excitement of changing the Plywood, I have a hunch that the limit switch or the Limit switch wiring got bumped.

There’s a great test that will show that the limit switch is triggered or misbehaving.

In the Console window in LightBurn request the system status report by typing the following:

?

Then press Enter.

If one of the limit switches is triggered you’ll see a PX or a PY response (or both). You may even want to hold the switch close to something metal, ( or away from something metal ) to prove to yourself that the switch or wiring does or does not work as anticipated in both sets of circumstances.

If the Engrave head is away from the origin (where the engraver homes) then there is no way the engraver will trigger the homing switches. Only bad wiring, a dislocated switch, or a failed switch could be responsible for the triggered response of the switch.

Please put on your safety glasses and poke around with the Limit Switches, Wiring, and the (? : question mark) report request.

Would that make the laser head not jog from any location and throw an error 9 G-code locked out message? I did notice now that it is running again i can hear a high pitched squeal type noise that it wasn’t doing before this when the laser is firing but also when homing. Im not sure as of yet where it is coming from in the laser. Ive not had a chance to further investigate that.

If it drops into that ‘Error 9 - GCode Locked out’ behavior again, please scroll back in the Console window and capture the error message just before all the repeated Error 9 messages. It’s probably an Error 2 like the one in the thread below but we should confirm the behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.