Atomstack MR20 issues

Lightburn is not recognizing the console, although I´ve tried several times and several drivers…So my next step in Lightburn, was to install the console manually…One config is a GRBL normal, and the other is a GRBL M3 type…I made 2 engravisngs…One normal, and one M3 type…Same config, even turning on constant power on normal GRBL…Same speeds and power…GRBL is not engraving and M3 made a spot like engraving…Is it ok to work with lightburb, although is not recognizing in a normal way my laser??? Can you help to config in he right way my Laser if is there some other values to be changed in order to work the right way …I appreciate your help and awaiting for your response

If it has a recent firmware, it’s normal “grbl”. grbl-m3 is only for old devices that have outdated firmware versions. The only/major difference is that m3 does not support dynamic power. Always choose standard grbl if the laser supports it.

It is completely fine to not use auto-detection for the laser, I even recommend adding the laser manually instead, to select the best options right from the start.

I made some trials…last one same speed and power and art, engraving some metal…GRBL normal did not make any scratch and GRBL type mode3 made some engraving on the metal…What parameters do I have to change besides the m3 type???

I don’t have one of these, but my understanding is the proper focus is absolutely critical. Do NOT trust the two red laser focusing dots. Test and verify.

If you switched between types, make sure the s-value max in device settings and the firmware setting $30 match. Both should be 1000 (both at 255 is also ok, but not different values).

If dots are not usefull, how can I focus the laser???Some advice

The dot may or may not be correct. Until you test, you don’t know. We have some other users with the MR20 reporting the focusing dots are calibrated wrong.

The most common method is a ramp test link

Since you have a powered Z (I assume), you could also make a file with a dozen layers, each containing one line arranged side-by-side, each with a different z offset.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Atomstack s20 not recognized by MacBook Pro

It seems you are right 2 dots are not right…I did a manual focussing test…Starting grom the 2 dots an manually, while it was running, it was a little tiny light, then I lift the axiz and nothing, but when I went down, the light started to be brighter, until I got the most of it, then I made a caliper tool, around 2 mm below the 2 dots mark…And now so far so good…2 questions; 1.- am I right to think the brither light the most power and 2.- Is there an Z axiz attachment to move up and down with a control???

With the fiber the focusing it via a Z movement observing for the brightest or most damaging to the material.

I know there is no automated Z control for my fiber, but I don’t know if Lightburn knows if/how to control it on these.

I can’t really remember, but I can’t think of many of these that that have a computer controlled Z axes. Of the ones with a motorized Z I’ve seen, it’s totally a manual operation.

Since you are changing out the tool, did the previous laser (tool) have a Z axes control via software? If that did, then this might.

These are neat machines, so I try to follow what’s going on with them. The expense isn’t low…

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.