ATOMSTACK R2 Roller

I just tried to use the ATOMSTACK R2 Roller and when I hit the test button or use the frame button, the roller acts like it’s locked up and the rollers try to turn, but the roller unit just vibrates violently, and sounds like it’s grinding gears, and causes the soda can to bounce around and fall off the rollers. I know that it’s connected to the Y axis and the auto home function is turned off. I have the mm per rotation set to 160 because a reviewer had his set to that value. The layer is set to 300mm per minute and %30 power. And the R1 Chuck acts the same way; it just tries to turn and vibrates violently. The X axis seems to work just fine. Since both units act the same way, it seems to be a configuration issue, because I wouldn’t think that both the roller and the chuck are defective. However, I suppose, it could be a compatibility issue with the ATEZR L2 24W engraver. Any ideas before I return the hardware?

The kit has 2 cables/adapters?
Have you tried the other?

I had already boxed up the roller unit by the time you posted your response, because I didn’t expect to get it working. However, your response was the correct fix. After I had it packaged to return, I decided to get ahold of their support team, and they said that Atezr and theirs uses the same cable. So, not the cable meant for other manufacturers. I just couldn’t believe that two backward wires would cause such havoc. So, I do appreciate the quick and accurate response. :grin:

1 Like

After I ran a test engrave of tweety bird on a soda can, it stretched tweety’s head all the way around the can to about a 1/2 inch apart, and he looks like he’s squished. And the size of the vector is 3.0733" high x 1.8503" wide. Any ideas?

I have an Atomstack X40 Pro with an R1 Chuck.
Here’s how I use my rotary:
Enable the rotary Set the MM per rotation and do a test. The rotary should do a rotation in one direction then the other direction and end up where it started. My setting for the Atomstack is 165 mm but yours may be a little different. After that measure the circumference of the object you are burning and enter that into the circumference field. After parameters are set up manually move or jog the laser where you want to start. Then change from Absolute to Current Position. You should be good to go

So heres the steps:
Plug Y Axis Cable from MB into Rotary
Open Lightburn
Turn off Home at startup
Turn on machine and connect to lightburn
Change from Absolute to Current Position
Enable Rotary
Set MM per rotation (165)
Do rotation test. (I put a little marker dot on top of the chuck to see start point)
Set Circumference of part
Mount and level product
Manually Move or jog laser to position you want to start
I always position my rotary left to right under the x axis. (See Picture Below)
I use a little jig i made to make sure the rotary is parallel to the X Axis
Focus Laser
Do Frame to check position
Adjust as necessary
Run Job

If you get an out of bounds error you can ignore it. Since you didn’t home the machine doesn’t know where its at. As long as your sure your machine isn’t actually going to go out of bounds

Rotary

1 Like

That’s the exact same steps I took with the exception of the mm per rotation, which was set at 160. I have LB 1.6, and it specifies that the diameter and circumference are not required but are a useful calculation. I did put the diameter in, and it calculated the circumference.
Screenshot 2024-05-15 181939

I finally figured out what was wrong with my faulty logic, because I was thinking that the roller diameter meant the diameter of the rollers on the unit, which is 16mm. Don’t ask me why I thought that this was the logical way of thinking about this. Once I watched a video about the use, I finally realized what I was doing wrong. After using the diameter of the can (66mm) then it engraved correctly. However, I think I still have to figure out what the correct mm per rotation is supposed to be. At 72mm it makes one complete rotation and then it reverses, but it doesn’t return to the top position, because it looks to be a couple rotations shy.