Backup Text not working on same version of LB

I have LB installed on two PC’s, one in my office and one in my shop. I design in my office and run the file in the shop. I try and keep the fonts in sync but that is not always the case.
I have version 1.1.03 running on both computers.
I created a design in the office using two fonts that turn out are not on my shop PC, but LB just shows an error and appears did not save the shape version of the text and just shows a project file warning and the text is defaulting to Arial.
Is there something additional I need to do to get the shape backup to work when the fonts don’t exist on the shop PC?

Was the design newly created in 1.1.03? Or re-saved in 1.1.03? If not, this won’t work. I don’t believe there are any other special requirements for this to work but wouldn’t be surprised if there were conditions where this misbehaves given how new it is.

Can you share the .lbrn file to review?

Nope newly created last night from scratch in 1.1.03 and then opened in the shop in the same version.

I didn’t see either of the fonts you selected on my current version of LightBurn. Were the Century Gothic and Haettenschweiler fonts part of another software package?

I think you need to do something like this in the garage:

They are just fonts I downloaded off the internet and installed in to windows Font Cache.
But I thought that was the whole point of the feature was that if the font in the project does not exist on the destination machine where it is opened it will use the saved shape version that was saved in the project if those fonts are not on my computer in the garage. Or maybe I am misunderstanding what the feature does or how it works.

I already know how to add fonts to windows and if that is the suggestion to remedy my issue in this post, it kind of makes this new feature pointless. And that is what I do normally just install the font on both machines, but this new feature was supposed to provide a fall back in the event you don’t have them installed on the second machine.

Are you able to share a .lbrn example file where this is occurring? The file can be examined to see if the issue is there or otherwise lead the investigation elsewhere.

1 Like

There’s nothing special you need to do to enable the feature. If you can attach an example file here we can take a look (or you can email it to support@lightburnsoftware.com if you don’t want to post it publically)

@LightBurn Sent the file to the support email.

I think I found the issue and it’s been this way all along, for whatever reason when I create a new project and then go to save it, it’s defaulting to the legacy Lightburn file format which does not include the shape version. Until this issue came up, I would have never had thought to question that either when saving a new file, I would assume it would default to the new file format and then only save to the legacy format if I selected it. So, it appears all my projects I have been creating since the file format changed and lbrn2 files came about have been saving as legacy files. The couple of lbrn2 files you see there in the image are files other people sent to me, but all my files have been saving as the legacy version.
I just created a new project with text using a font I knew was not on the other machine and saved in the lbrn2 format file, and then opened it on the other machine and it did give me a notice the font couldn’t be found but it did display the text in the correct font using the shape version. So that was my issue.

Thank you for this update. The default file format should be the latest .LBRN2 when saving, unless that has been change by selection. LightBurn remembers your last selection, so this may have been inadvertently changed and not noticed until now. But I will do some digging to see if I can reproduce what you observed. Glad you got this sorted.

Yea if its situation it just remembers that last and makes that its default is probably what happened.
Although may I suggest that it be changed that it always defaults to the current file type and force manual selection each time if the legacy type if it is needed, which probably wouldn’t be often if at all. There is no telling what meta data or attributes of projects I have lost since all my files have been saving to an old format since, I purchased LB.

If the last saved type is managed by windows, I could see how this could occur especially when upgrading to a new version of the software and on the version where the file type changed the new version would just be defaulting the last selected type which would have been the legacy.
And if managed by Lightburn, when the version change took place, it would update whatever registry entry controlled that selection so that it would update it during the installation.

I say this because I can’t remember any time or reason that I would have saved anything in the old file format and changed it from the new lbrn2 if it was ever defaulting to that when the update happened that went from lbrn to lbrn2 file types.

I would rather it default exclusively to LBRN2 at least for new documents and save as dialogs, requiring an override for LBRN. It’s too easy to open an old LBRN file and then get “stuck” using the old format inadvertently. Or offer an explicit configuration choice.

1 Like

This is delightfully odd role reversal…

It should still default to the current lbrn2 format, it makes more sense that if you opened a project that you want to send to someone that has to use the old format at that point you do a simple save as and select the legacy format. Then next time you are saving a project it still defaults to the newest file format. Like I said i would make the legacy format selection you have to do manually each time that way you know for sure everything going forward is not going to be saving in the old format.

Exactly how I see it!

Apologies for this, we are writing the backup path in all versions of the file but missed reading it for the .lbrn files. That should be fixed in the next released version. You shouldn’t need to re-save your files or anything, as long as the file was saved with a version that supports backup paths, the next version should read it just fine regardless of whether it’s an .lbrn or .lbrn2 file.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.