Border around image removale

hi, is there an easy way to remove this border from around png images, i am cutting the photo out in photoshop and exporting as png but when i import the photo into lightburn there is always a black line around as in the picture attached, this makes it harder but not impossible to get a cut line around the actual image, is there an easy way to remove this border so i can just contour around the actual image ?

Images are always a “box”
even if the rest of the image is transparent, the bounding box of the image is still a box

I am unsure if this can be done within lightburn or if it can be done at all actually
This will also mean that your “frame” will be the full size of the image imported, even if most of it is transparent

This may be what you’re looking for.

1 Like

In what way is the bounding box interfering with this process? How are you approaching this?

Note that the black box doesn’t represent actual pixels, only the bounds of the rectangular raster image including the transparent portions.

hi, i am meaning like contour cut around the actual bird but the bounding box gets in the way, this is the closest i get it with trace but it makes it a bit more work, if the bounding box wasnt there im sure it would be a lot easier, there must be a way of removing it even in other software perhaps ?

In the Tracing Window you can decide what you want to trace, pull a square on the inside of the square and you only get your bird.

Oh I never knew that thank you so much

In this case, it is probably a good idea to mark the question as “Problem solved” so that others with similar “problems” finds the answer faster. :slight_smile:

ive just tried that and it then traces around the new square ive just created so no further forward with it really

…try sending the bird picture up here or as a PM

The bounding box will only get traced under certain parameters. It’s not getting in the way so much as the parameters are exposing the box. Experiment with different values focusing only on the quality of the trace around the main subject. You can remove the outer shape after the fact if required.

Note that no software will be able to “remove” the bounding box, as that’s inherent to raster images.

Also, is your goal to trace the outline of the bird? Or to trace all the details of the internals of the bird? If only the outline, I’d suggest in this case experimenting with toggling the “Trace transparency” field.

I am wanting to trace the outer of the bird so I could photo engrave it then cut it out , I don’t want it vectorised, I have moved the sliders everywhere and it won’t outline just the bird without some of the inner bits , it’s not really a huge problem as I can just remove them afterwards , I was really hoping on a way to remove the bounding box but if it can’t be removed I’ll have to work with it as it is :frowning:
Thank you

I’d suggest trying the “Trace Transparency” flag. That should allow you to get a nearly perfect trace around the outline.

Just run it through background removal software. Faster then trying to do it in Lightburn.

Did you review the original image? The background is already removed and is transparent.

Sorry, I lost the plot here.

All good. Was wondering if you had caught something that perhaps I had missed.

I got mislead by removing the outside line and missed that OP intended to cut out image. I further confused myself when I copy and pasted to work with it and it then had a background.

Here is a classic previous post by the one and only @LightBurn on this very subject.

I find it that if I do a quick search in the historical posts on this forum another member had the same question asked and answered before me. This ALWAYS helps me get to the answer quicker than having to wait for a reply to a post.

Cheers
:beers:

Sas

PS : Ironically a bird was used in the example as well :wink:

Thanks for that but I already seen that and it’s a vector image , I have no issue doing them at all and have used light burn for almost 3 years now, the main question was to contour around the photo with a nice clean outline and to get rid of the bounding box which I have now discovered cannot be removed , when I have my slider all the way up it traces the bounding box , next click down goes around the bird but also attaches to a lot of the inside of the bird as my example shows , if the bounding box had not been there I think the next click up on the slider would have surrounded the bird perfectly