Burn not matching file

Just getting started here in burning, and I seem to have an issue with the file getting garbled on the way the the laser.

I created some text in Inkscape (Hershey Text) and here is what it looks like in LightBurn: “made” (sorry, new users can only post one image.)

But here is what actually comes out:
DF1_6615

I don’t know if this is related, but I am also having the following issues:

• I am not able to get the laser to fire at anything other than 100%, despite settings.
  • Sometimes the job freezes - the whole thing just stops part way through the job, and if the laser happens to be on at the time, the laser stays on until I click “fire” twice. If I repeat the job, it freezes in exactly the same place.

Another photo, where it is easier to see what is happening: a simple heart turn into this (left) when burned once and this (right) when burned four times.

It is interesting to me that although it does not return to the original location, the start of the second burn lines up with the end of the first, and so on.

Your profile says “unknown firmware”. What Device profile did you use during the initial LightBurn setup? What is displayed in the ‘Console’ window when you try to connect with LightBurn?

As a side, if you are at the beginning of the setup process, getting the laser to work and to work with LightBurn, I would suggest only doing simple tests like cutting a small square. Just keep it simple at first to reduce test complexity. Try to cut a 10mm square. If that comes out correctly and as you expected, move on to a circle, test again and so on. As you move through, at some point you will be testing importation using a known good setup helping you limit the variables and achieve the best results. My two cents. :wink:

I set it to GRBL-M3 (1.1e or earlier). With GRBL-M4 it runs, but the laser does not fire. (It does fire with GRBL-M4 if I click the “fire” button, but always at full power, regardless of the power setting.)

On connecting, I get the following:

Waiting for connection…
JH���benbox laser 3.1(c) mul 2015.06.06
start
ok
Homing
ok

Among other tests, I have tried the following on a simple square:
SQUARE:

XPos: 3
YPos: 3
Width: 10
Height: 10
Speed: 20
Result: success

XPos: 3.1
YPos: 3.1
Result: finishes, does not return home until I click “Stop”

XPos: 3
YPos: 3.1
Result: finishes, does not return home until I click “Stop”

XPos: 3.1
YPos: 3
Result: success

I doesn’t seem to like decimals, especially on the Y axis, so I am suspecting a firmware issue.

It does look like a Chinese copy of an Arduino Nano, judging from the shape and the text written on it.(NANO DCCduino) It looks like using HexUploader for Mac might be the easiest way for me, and use grbl_v0_9a_edge_328p_16mhz_9600_build20121210.hex. Before I go and do that, are there any recommended checks or precautions?

It looks like I may have issues trying to get the right drivers on mac. But I guess if I mess up I can always get a real Arduino Nano, and go from there. :slight_smile:

OK, so flashing GRBL did work - every shape burns correctly and I can change the laser power now! Thank you Rick!

I will now work on fixing the new issues (10mm -> 30mm burn, speed and acceleration very slow, etc)

I will mark the problem resolved and if I need help with the other issues I will open another thread.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.