Buying a new Laser recommendations

The G-8 is apparently the best one for Diode Lenses out currently, I believe…

Personally I have a 100w boss co2. And I cut what you want to cut easily. But you have to be willing to spend a chunk of changes. I don’t thing there is a lot of difference in china or American, they all have same boards and controls ( or at least similar ). Thee difference is support from and American company. So I say choose your poison

Why? What makes it ‘better’?

Apparently the focal spot is sharper or somthing, I’m not 100% sure, but both shops on eBay recommend it and say it’s new. I’m not buying it though so can’t verify this lol

Well, I ordered one and I’ll let you know what I think.
Of course, that presupposes that the laser I ordered from NEJE ever ships and arrives…

It was a leading question - there’s a good reason I asked you to define ‘better’.

The guys at the laser pointer forum are ‘focused’ on laser pointers, it just happens that their work also dovetails with our requirements. And they’re geeks, so you get a lot of tech info. What they think is better may not be better for an engraver.

The G8 has a loooong focal length, compared to a G2 - 30-100mm, vs 25-50mm - intended for laser pointers, not engravers. A lot of machines won’t have the Z-depth to focus using a G8, but if you do, it does collimate the beam less that the G2, giving you higher light pressure at the focal point.

On a Ortur:

The G2 has an efficiency of over 95%, where the G8 is ~90%

So a 7W with a G2 gets 6.65W, with a G8 it gets 6.3W, but the beam is more collimated, giving you less light pressure and thus, less cutting power. What you gain on the swings, you lose on the roundabouts, and vice versa.

Nobody ever got fired for choosing a G2 - it’s a great lens with a short focal lens - but if you have the head space, and (importantly) have enough turns in the lens mount to focus at your desired point, a G8 is a good choice.

The reason I don’t (didn’t?) use one is that my machine was designed with the 30-50mm z-height that suits a G2 and my lens tube only has ~20mm throw - I can’t focus short enough to take advantage of the G8.

If you can, go for it - it’s going to make up in light pressure what it loses out in optical losses to the G2.

Given that they’re the same pirice, and they are both cheap, get one of each and experiment. The G2 will engrave ‘better’, the G8 will cut more materials.

They both will be significant upgrades on acrylic lenses sold with cheap Chinese engravers like the ortur.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.