Calculating Proper Laser Z Height

(Eirik H) #1

The preface to this is, I recently purchased a Red & Black ebay 100w CO2 laser (ruida) but when the package arrived it didn’t come with a z-height guide.

To calculate the z-height I used a thin piece of balsa wood 1/8" thick and then using calipers moved the laser down starting at 20mm and incremented down in 1mm segments and cut a square 20x20mm and a line 30mm long. I then reviewed the cut and measured the kerf. I ran at 55% power and 25mm/s this might not be optimal power and speed but since I kept it the same across all tests I feel it provided consistent benchmark.

Based on my testing it appears that about 6.5mm is the optimal position for z-height above the piece.

What I am curious about is;

1. Was this be the appropriate methodology to accomplish this or is there a better way?
  2. Is there any settings in the DSP that could have provided me with information? I looked and found none, and the “manual” didn’t even cover z-height.
  3. Based on your experience does this sound to be around the correct height?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

(Isaac Barbary) #2

A good way to sort this out is a technique known as a Ramp Test. Whether 6.5mm is a good height or not depends on the focal length of your lens and the length of the laser head cone.

Tech Bravo’s Laser Focus Ramp Test

Lightburn Instructions
Very light burn
(Eirik H) #3

@chaoticmind, I took a quick peek at the video and ran a similar test as described. It appears I was right in the ballpark give or take .5mm. Thank you so much.

Now I just need to make my tip-up gauge and I should be rocking away.

(Isaac Barbary) #4

The way you went about things will certainly work but the ramp test is a lot easier and faster.

(Eirik H) #5

Yeah I see that now. Using the method you provided on getting the correct height has gotten me down to a 0.25mm kerf for cutting acrylic.

Thanks again.