Camera 8MP 110deg

Looking for suggestions on where I should place my 8mp 110deg camera on my Boss 2436. 36inches is the widest point. Not sure if I should place it in the center of the lid looking straight down or what…help help would be great.

Thank you very much for the fast response. If my math is right, which it usually isn’t…I need to be 15 inches above the bed with a 110deg 36inch width bed?

also, if I mount it with the lid open am I still able to use it while the machine is running or does it just throw everything off? NOt sure that makes sense, but makes sense in my small brain.

A bit higher, actually, because the camera is a 16:9 aspect, not 4:3. We added this in the 0.9.12 release:

Thank you for that!

I guess I don’t understand. How do I mount it and use it if I have to have the lid open?

Mounting with it centered in the open lid - pointing straight down, allows for the best view while placing and aligning your work. You would then close the lid as you normally would for safely running a job. Then, after that job clears and it is safe to open the laser again, the camera should go back to the same spot, returning the camera to the exact location as before, and ready to start this workflow again.

Here is a demo video showing the camera in use which might help you visual your workflow options.

1 Like

Oh that was perfect, thank you Rick!!

This is a good one too - he goes into a few details about how he mounted, ran the wires, etc.

4 Likes

how do you focus the dang thing? wish it was an auto-focus camera… I use materials between .25" and 2" - it’s obviously not going to be in perfect focus for all that as a manual camera…

Like any manual camera - you twist the lens. It’s easier to focus if you use the Microsoft Camera app running full screen while you do it (or just un-dock the camera control window and drag it larger).

Why do you say that? Lasers generally have a fixed focus distance between the lens and the work surface, and you vary the height of the Z table to move the top of the material to that focus height, so the distance from the surface being engraved to the camera is constant.

I hadn’t thought of that last bit.
do you have a picture of the lens bit - mine is affixed to the lid of my laser - qute an awkward position for me to manually turn it. Is it the four little slots that you get a grip on? Still an auto focus would have been my preference (ps this is “the” lightburn camera as installed by the company that sold me my laser…
John

The title of this thread is ‘8mp-110deg’. You jumping into this thread asking “how do you focus the dang thing” implies that you have this exact camera. If you don’t, it would be better to start a new post.

Can you show a picture of your camera so I know what you actually have? The 8mp-110 does not have notches in the lens.

Does yours have the metal square housing like this?

If so, that is auto focus (it’s the only one we sell that is).

There are some that have 6 notches around the lens, and those you would hook with a fingernail or something to turn them. About 1/4 turn at a time for coarse adjustment.

A post was split to a new topic: Camera troubles

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.