Camera calibration good for one bed height?

Does it matter what the Z-height is when I calibrate my camera? My bed height changes by 8" or so depending on the object in the laser.

If the laser can’t see the entire bed when the bed is raised all the way up will that affect its alignment accuracy?

Thanks!
Kevin

What is important is that the cutting/engraving plane stays the same as when you did the calibration. For example, it is ok to drop the cutting bed 8 inches to engrave the top of an 8 inch thick box since the cutting plane will stay the same.

Of course since the laser head isn’t moving in the z-plane, it doesn’t matter where the bed lies… Duh.

Thanks!
Kevin

Some lasers have an easily movable focus tube that you can slide up & down instead of moving the bed. If you do that, it changes the distance from the focal point to the camera. If you use the Z-table to adjust the height, everything is consistent and there’s no issue.

Yeah I don’t think I have the moveable focus tube. I have a 28"x20" blue/grey Chinese 60W. It turns out I bought the wrong camera as well. I bough a 5MP / 60 because I thought it would be high enough above the bed. Unfortunately, when I measured between the open lid and the bed, the bed was lowered all the way down for my rotary tool. I have now ordered a 8MP Camera (4K-N) which will be mounted about 29" above my bed so hopefully I can get everything going this week.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.