Camera help if you will

From the bed where I normally do my leather work, to the seal of the lid, its 10.75" (273.05mm)

I use this for my computer to laser, will also use on my camera.

No camera we sell will allow you to see the full width of a 900mm bed from 275mm above it, and if one did, the sides of the image produced would be too blurry to be much use. (see graphic here, above: Camera help if you will)

If you open the lid, and it always stops in the same place, that’s generally a better choice for camera mounting, like this:

Ohhh lid open!!! About 39 1/2"

39" is 990mm, so it looks like the 90 degree would be the best fit for you.

90 deg: 900mm / 1.4 = 640mm, minimum height
60 deg: 900mm / 0.825 = 1090mm, minimum height (not enough)

Unfortunately the 90’s are out of stock for a few weeks. I didn’t have many of them initially, and when I figured out I needed more, it was too close to Chinese New Year to get the order through in time. I’ll have them again after valentine’s day. The 120 would work almost as well, if you want it now.

1 Like

Perfect! 120 it is! Just placed the order. I appreciate it!

At the most bsic level, I have a USB camera, but where do I plug it in? Just any unused USB port? My laptop is severely limited in usb ports, wnat to keep the laser plugged in directly (not thru a hub).
Is there a "How to conect a camera?
Thanks.
Fred

Plug it into any available USB port on the computer.

Interesting that the camera I got (not the Lightburn camera) when plugged into a USB port and using the Windows camera function, it captures one image and locks the camera. Using the laptop built in camera it works fine. So I was worried about a faulty camera etc, etc.
I started Lightburn, opened the camera panel, plugged in the camera, selected it AND IT WORKS fine. Now I need to mount it properly (and get a usb hub). I want to keep the k40 plugged directly into the laptop, not thru hub.

Lightburn is the fixer of all things i guess :joy:. Welcome to the world of cameras in lightburn!

1 Like

Haha, When I received the camera and tried it (and got the lock up) I was about to send it back. Then thought, What the H… and started LB and plugged it into the same port and it works fine. Yay Lightburn.
I will fab a brace to hold the cover open to a convenient location, then fab a mount to attach the camera. I am assuming that with the short K40 and only about 3 inches from cover to sheet, I would be fighting a losing battle to get a decent image with camera mounted that close.
Thoughts?
Fred

1 Like

Im not really familiar with the K40. Does it not have a lid that stays open without having to hold it? My laser lid will stay open and has some play, so I just make sure i always push it to the same side when its open and im taking a picture. Seems to work well for me.

Yes the lid stays open, but is open too far Np gas springs on the little one, just open over center.
I am going to make a mod to the lid (think quanset hut on top of the lid). Will make it of plexiglass, should be able to fix the camera about 12 inches above the center of cut area aiming straight down.
May work on it during the game today (much better use o my time.
Fred

Gotcha. My lid opens all the way straight up and down. I see a lot of people here who’s lid opens at an angle above the bed. I’ll be interested to see what you make for it though. Please post pics!

As I had a spare lid (from the Blue/white that caught fire last year, I cleaned it up, cut the top opening a bit to match the cut area, repainted it black, and mounted the camera about 4 inches above the lid No plexiglas yet. I was amazed how easy it was to calibrate the camera (of course it helped that the camera was mounted to look straight down onto the cut area.)

1 Like

Since my lid has a angle on it when open, I mounted my camera using a squeegee we use for sign making. Used 3 pieces of double sided tape to secure the camera. Then used 3M snap Velcro and attached it to the window. Temporary fix until I can find something permanent.

No I haven’t read all the replies to this thread…yes I am lazy and like for other people to answer my dumb questions…at least I am honest. But from what I can tell I can use either the 90 or 120 degree camera on my 700x500 red and black. Does that sound about right?

you are missing one very important point.

the bed size is NOT the deciding factor.

it is the COMBINATION of the height of the camera WHEN CALCULATED correctly with the bed size.

it is a very easy calculation , but you must measure the height and do the maths.

it’s very well documented.

@barrie, what happen to you just telling me yes and I order one? Just messing, I have been meaning to measure the distance from my hood to bed…but I never think about till I get at work and not around my laser.

1 Like

:wink:

yea the lid is the deciding factor on these machines.