Can LightBurn be used as a GCODE generator?

So scouring GitHub the other other evening I found a repo for a gentleman who was doing the same thing as I for another model for laser from my same vendor.

His approach was to save gcode from Lightburn, and run a script to munge it the upload it to the machine. You then hit the big glowing “go” button on the machine to start the cut. This is more in line with the standard workflow for this glowforge wannabe and avoids some of the challenges of the streaming solution.

I am going to join efforts with him and add the optimization of adding a file watcher that looks for gcodes in a given directory and does the needful. Save and go. There are differences in the machines that need to be accounted for but that can handled done in codes

So sounds like moving to an offline model with the exception of a file detector? One drawback I see tho this model is that this will make certain LightBurn features inaccessible. I’m thinking about Print and Cut specifically where precise alignment is required. Center Finder as well.

It’s possible you could do a hybrid on-line off-line model to allow this. So do alignment online and then go offline for execution. I think as long as you didn’t lose steps or re-home in between this should work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.