Can slow response of PSU harm shading effect of dither modes<

I watched some videos of Russ Sadler about producing a good quality photo since my products are still mediocre.

In this tutorial he actually works with Lightburn.

Now what he suggests is to measure a PSU response speed/delay and from that derive a laser speed at which the beam can actually fire at each dot.

I did that test and calculated that my response delay is about 5 ms (my PSU is MYJG 50W from ZYE laser). Is this delay normal or is it too high? He mentioned in the video a reasonable delay is 1 ms.

And can too long response be a cause of mediocre photo shading? I adjusted my speed based on this video and managed to get way more dots to my piece, but the result was still far from good.

I think I could buy a new PSU but I am unsure if it would help.

Thanks for advice.

Here is a photo engraved at 36,6 mm/s at 15 % power with 50W Chinese CO2 laser at the Jarvis dither. Compared to previous results there is much more detail (=more dots).

Now the reason I am curious about this is that I tried to engrave a shades of gray pattern on birch plywood and I cant get dots from light areas onto the piece in no combination of speed and power and it drives me crazy.

How did you come to that 5ms calculation?

I engraved a rectangle at 200 mm/s in the fall+scan mode and then measured a gap between where the scan line should start and where it actually started. The gap was 1 mm, so if my speed is 200 and distance 1, needed time is 0,005 s or 5 ms.

That could be a mechanical, or mechanical + electronic, or electronic issue. The most likely is mechanical backlash.

ZYE are a well-respected manufacturer and in my experience their response times are well below 1ms.

Certainly at speeds of 500-700mm/s, I don’t have to put in any offset calculation with a ZYE 130W supply, but I have a well-tuned, well-specified machine with advanced CNC components and have negligible measurable backlash. You get what you pay for.

It’s my most-often supplied component to customers and I don’t have any complaints about delay.

I’m not convinced that Mr. Sadler always follows the scientific method when postulating a fix to a problem.