Can you change x-axis top to bottom and horizontal left to right

building a new cabinet for my laser and wondering how Lightburn will act if the x is 4 ft wide and y in 30’. with the 30" (y-axis) running top to bottom and the 4 ft running left to right (x-axis)

Not sure I follow what you’re getting at. The X axis is normally left to right. The size shouldn’t matter to Lightburn if your laser can handle it.

I was just thinking I may not have worded that correctly.

The Laser head on my gantry (x-axis) runs left to right.
The gantry sets on the (y-axis) rails and moves front to back.

I want building a new cabinet that the work space is 4 feet wide by 30" deep.
This would make the laser head run from to back while the gantry in running right to left. this means the x and y axis have been rotated counter clockwise.

My question that with the gantry (was x-axis) running vertical and and the (y-axis is running horizontally. Do I need to switch the stepper motor connections on the x and y or leave them the same.
Will the engravings come out the same or what with light burn?

By definition, the X axis is horizontal and the Y axis is vertical, so when you rotate the hardware, you must rewire it to make the machinery match the definition:

• Swap the X and Y motor cables
  • Swap the X and Y home switches

Because the X and Y axis motors move different hardware (laser head vs gantry), you must also swap the controller’s X and Y axis configurations, because their speed / acceleration / home direction settings will be different.

I swapped the axes after extending the rails on my CNC-3018 router (a much simpler thing than yours!), but my notes may be useful:

When you’re done, your LightBurn layout will be in portrait mode, rather than landscape mode, but everything will work just the same.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.