Changing movement interval in Galvo

Is there a function or setting to alter the coarseness / fineness of the movements you can make with the arrow keys when framing in lightburn Galvo?

I bought a bunch of super cheap coin blanks and they lack a relief groove around the circumference, so positioning is extremely unforgiving. The current nudging is just too much even when holding ctrl.

While framing, the arrow keys can be used to nudge the position of your graphics by 1mm. Holding Shift will increase the movement distance to 5mm, and holding Ctrl will decrease it to 0.2mm.

From our docs :slight_smile:

While we don’t have adjustments to that tool - yet (suggest it on fider.io!), we do have adjustments for moving geometry on screen, more details here: Nudge Offset Adjustment - #2 by Rick

To locate a coin, I do this…

Pick up, from ACE hardware or elsewhere, metal strips… I then clamp them on the fiber.

I locate all art to center of the workspace. The tool layer for the coin is duplicated and enlarged enough to make a jig on the metal band and engraved.

This allows the coin to seat in a predetermined place.

Works for anything … similarly… did it with a hexagon shaped object also…

As long as you don’t move it… you’re set…Pressing P will align your work to center. It’s not that tough to just burn another one if needed.

Coins with a lip, can sometimes be set just engraving for the lip area… the engravings on each side were for lipped coins.

:smile_cat:

Thank you for your responses. The changes in making nudges through settings will get me right where I need to be.

@jkwilborn that is generally what I try to do… i was just trying to get the perfect “lip” on an engraved coin. For any sort of “mass production” i want to ensure that i have a reference surface to start from, which is normally just two bolt heads on my workspace. Even I can’t screw it up with a solid jig or reference point. I have some usb cameras laying around that are similar to the one sold here, so I’m going to try and integrate them.

Looks like you were probably engraving some of the el cheapo blanks I am too… i had been using swiss Bui blanks, but found some inexpensive brass blanks on scamazon that are great, and have the “relief” around the edges. I saw another even cheaper listing and they are slightly thinner and lack the relief. Don’t get me wrong, for the price (under $2 per) theyre still just dandy… although I’m not sure if they’re brass or mostly zinc or what. I’ll probably shift back to the slightly more expensive relieved coins with the polished finish, but i bought a few hundred of these and they’ll be good for cheap jobs and donations.

This was my first “3d sliced” attempt at lightbirn and what prompted the thread. It did well overall, but i was ever so slightly off… it also needs an actual polishing, you can see some bits of brasso and soot still on it… but I just wanted to see how the 3d carving worked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.