Circle design question for lightburn

I am very new to the design tools in lightburn and I’m working on a project to make a circle with an inner offset. I know how to make the offset . I need to make a circle of approx 35 inches in diameter but I need to cut three individual piecesto make the circle and stack them on wood to cut out. after I draw the circle with an offset for the inner diameter I dont know how to chop it or delete portions . three pieces needed to make the circle.

It’s unclear the role of the offset and you haven’t specified the shape of the 3 pieces into which you want to cut the circle.

I’ll assume that you want this to be cut into 3 pie shapes.

1. draw the circle
  2. make 3 closed shapes that align their edges perfectly and completely encompasses the circle
  3. duplicate the circle twice so you now have 3 identical circles
  4. select one circle and one of the 3 shapes you created, then Tools->Boolean Intersection
  5. repeat for 2 other shapes

That should leave you with 3 shapes that comprise the full circle.

If I understand correctly, you’d like to make a three spoked peace sign. This also implies that you’ll be gluing the pieces together to return the assembly to a full circle. An easy way to accomplish this is to create a line from the center of the circle to the top. Select the vertical line, then shift-click the outer circle. Use the circular array feature to create three spokes. It may be necessary to duplicate some of the objects in order to have them properly closed/split for your purposes.

I only want to use Lightburn to draw up three pieces of MDF to which I will be using my bandsaw with circle cutter to form three wood pieces when put together will be forming an outer circle of exactly 31 inches in diameter and having an inner diameter of 29.5 inches (hence a .75 inch inner offset.
hope this explains it better.

In that case, here are slightly modified steps:

1. draw the outer circle
  2. draw the inner circle
  3. group the outer and inner circle
  4. make 3 closed shapes that align their edges perfectly and completely encompasses the grouped circle
  5. duplicate the circle twice so you now have 3 identical circles
  6. select one circle and one of the 3 shapes you created, then Tools->Boolean Intersection
  7. repeat for 2 other shapes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.