Considering buying a RDC6445G from Cloudray - any insights?

Hi all, I recently acquired a red and black Chinese laser (100w, 900x600mm) and it came with a TopWisdom TL-410C controller.

I am considering swapping to a RDC6445G, partly because I understand it works well with Lightburn, and partly because it seems to be less expensive than some of the other RuiDa controllers, but I haven’t been able to find much in the way of a comparison of the various RuiDa products.

Does anyone have any insight into how the 6445G compares to other products (e.g. the more exensive 6332G)?

Also, has anyone bought from Cloudray Laser Solutions? If so, was it a good experience?

I have a 6445 in one of my lasers and it works perfectly with LightBurn. I purchased it from Cloudray, as well as purchasing lenses and PSU’s from them. They are a solid dealer, and have excellent customer service and support (7 days a week)

2 Likes

I don’t have experience with the 6445G, though there are a few people around (like Anthony) who have them and really like them.

I do have experience with Cloudray - they’re a reputable seller, and have very good customer service.

1 Like

I was looking at the RDC6445G as well but when I looked at RuiDas comparison tables, something seemed off, the 45G was shown as having 128MB of memory instead of 256MB like the RDC6442G ( I thought the 45G was an upgrade ).

Can anyone confirm the memory in a 45G?

Thanks

Joel

6442G is also only 128MB.

1 Like

I purchased one of these to go into my K40. TL;DR: If you can afford it, buy it.

Pros: Nice, large screen and clear display. Numeric keypad eases data entry. Jogging the machine is easy. Setup parameters can be accessed via the menu, and aren’t tied to RDWorks/Lightburn (though I must admit, the lightburn interface is far more user-friendly than the panel). Controller is accurate and blazingly fast. Doesn’t lose steps, jerk around, require constant re-zeroing, etc. like I’ve seen with some of the opensource controllers.
Cons: Documentation of any of the setup parameters is nonexistent. Default parameters are very aggressive. Tuning the controller is an exercise in patience and trial by fire. The analog laser power output doesn’t have a firmware maximum / scaling factor / “this voltage equals 100% power on my laser” setting. I had to whip up one in hardware to limit the voltage going into the IN pin of my LPSU. Laser settings don’t allow you to set a softlimit of 100% (99 is as high as it goes). Chinese translations of parameter names are pretty awful. Actually all the translations are pretty bad, but I’ve seen far worse.

I ended up turning down the power output of my PSU so that 98% ( max on LaserSoft ) gave me 26mA for my tube.

I expect my RDC6445 Thursday, not sure what I will really get for a controller. The pictures I’ve seen show the interface supports analog out. The manual I downloaded shows that pin replaced with 24V out. The other thing I noticed is RTLINK is gone which my PSU supports, though I do have the separate display.

I think in the end, the PSU converts the PWM to analog HV for the tube anyway, I’m not sure if there would be advantages of analog out vs PWM other that noise on the analog signal is more problematic.

I’m looking forward to trying this controller with Lightburn on my laser.

There are a couple pots inside my LPSU. I’m not going to go turning them willy-nilly without knowing what they are given the hazardous voltages inside and the possibility of nuking my tube. I haven’t taken the time to tear it down and draw a schematic of what it’s doing, so I’m not sure which one is the final power setting (if one even is). If I get a wild hair up my butt to tear it apart I will post what I find :slight_smile:

As for now, the solution I have may not be ideal, but it certainly works for what I need it to do. I’ll do some more cutting and post the results.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.