Controller always resets $32 command

Hey there,

im using this controller here. GRBL Offline Controller Board 2Axis Stepper Motor Double Y Axis USB Driver Board For GRBL For Laser Engraving Machine Carving|Wood Routers| - AliExpress

The problem i have is, that it doesn save the $32=1 command. If i unplug the controller and connect it again, it shows 0 again. Limits or steps can be changed and it saves them. But $32 always goes back to 0.

Even if if stop or end one job, the value goes back to 0 that i have to manually set it with macro to 1 before every lasermove. Otherwise it moves very weird and does not start engraving.

Can someone help me with this?

Might want to confirm what version of firmware your controller is operating underā€¦

There were a few times one of mine wouldnā€™t take the value. I got in the habit of reading it back ($$) to double check it.

Are you reading it back ok?

:smiley_cat:

Values are stored and saved after the $32=1 command. If i read the config, it shows the stored setting, but if i reconnect it, its gone again.

I donā€™t remember where the 1264 stores these values. Seems to me they are in non volatile static memory area.

Did you check the grbl version?
I think you should be at 1.0.1 or something. It should display it at the boot.

Itā€™s supposed to keep it, donā€™t know what to say except maybe hardwareā€¦ New board is $25 on ebay. Might ask at the originators site.

In lightburn Iā€™ve used the ā€˜machine settingsā€™ under edit to set them on the Ruida, it probably works the same with your grbl machine. Did you try that angle? Maybe it will come up with something usable.

I could be that that GRBL build doesnā€™t work for lasers (despite AliExpressā€™s claim - I know this comes as a surprise). It is relatively simple to update GRBL to the latest (1.1h) from github.

Some data need to be permanently stored on the microcontroller so they are stored in eeprom memory, this memory is sensitive to fluctuations and voltage levels and may interfere with its operation, are you sure the output voltage of the power supply is constant and It does not any oscillation?

This is the version i have. 1.1f. Still not saving. Even tried to change $31 to 1. It saves and can reload it. Just $32 is not working

As was stated by Ashkan these values are usually stored in non volatile memory.

Iā€™d change a different one and see if when itā€™s restarted it was retained. If itā€™s working differently from the other variables that could be an issue somewhere else. Donā€™t forget to reset it.

I thought there was a 1.1h out there, but Iā€™m not sure.

You should not have to set it every time itā€™s reset.

This has come up before and you can probably search out some previous threads about it.
Apparently a few board makers ship out ā€œnon-standardā€ grbl builds that ā€œbreaksā€ some functions.
Iā€™m sure the ā€œresetting $32ā€ is one of the things thatā€™s been mentioned before.
Thatā€™s about all I remember but a little searching should dig up more.
Good luckā€¦

2 Likes

Lol. It works now. I just updated to the latest version and it saves the value now. All other things are still working too. Seems the chinese pcb has the same layout and nothing Changed.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.