Controller Upgrade

This seems to be a question that has been asked countless times, though the answers can get outdated quickly. I have an distance friend that has an old CO2 laser cutter system that seems to be fully functional but the very import feeling and sketchy burn CD with a very outdated looking software “LaserCut” I would like to upgrade the controller to something compatible with Lightburn. It has external Stepper Drivers and I have don’t several non-Laser related projects using other G-Code GRBL hardware. As for the Laser ON/OFF I’m making an assumption that the Laser will be looking for a PWM output and that Most CNC boards support.

For back ground I’m running an Openbuilds Modified Workbee 1010 with 1.5Kw spindle or 7w Diode Laser that I use Lighburn and the OpenBuilds software depended on the job at hand.

I was thinking about simply using an UNO and GRBL board to run this laser. Sure It would require a dedicated PC.

After all that What Controllers are people upgrading into these days. We do have External Stepper Drivers.

If it’s using LaserCut the controller is mostly likely a Leetro controller. This would be in the DSP class of controllers.

Your best bet would be to swap this for a Ruida controller (also DSP). It would offer the most robust and most like-for-like swap. It would be possible to drive this with an UNO or similar but would require a bit more work and would results in a much less robust solution.

Also note that there was some talk at one point about possible LightBurn support for Leetro but haven’t seen anything more about that.

This is a relevant article to review:
Leetro to Ruida Settings (msraynsford.blogspot.com)

Take a look at the high-voltage power supply. If it has the usual Enable (H and L) and PWM (IN) inputs, then you can use the usual controllers:

I’ll add another vote for a Ruida controller, because that’s pretty close to what it already has, with compatibility in both directions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.