Crash with .ai files

If you just imported the files and did nothing further, that would be the issue. The files were a bunch of disjointed segments, not closed loops. For the offset code to work, it needs to be able to figure out where the inside / outside is, and a straight line doesn’t have an inside or outside.

After importing the file, un-group everything, select it all, then Edit > Auto Join.

Yes I did auto join them

Well there might still be something that’s open. Try using Edit > Select Open Shapes. If it selects something, it’s not closed, and kerf offsetting won’t work.

Yes that’s it. It seems they are not joined properly. It selects both tab pieces as if they were not joined. They are not grouped either. I tried auto join again and they still get selected with ‘select open shapes’ … I attached the file
tab test.lbrn (6.6 KB)

That file contained a couple pieces that were “infinitely short”. I used Arrange > Break Apart to split the objects back into pieces, found the tiny segments and deleted them, then re-joined. I’ve attached the result.
tab test.lbrn (5.9 KB)

Checking your file with select open shapes, I found another small one. Been trying to do the same with my original file. Didn’t have much luck on that one.

Ok the kerf adjustments work now. Got them fitting perfectly. Will have to check future boxes carefully. Thanks!

1 Like