Creating a Poll for the Reading of the LightBurn Documentation

You articulated your experiences with the forum search but didn’t elaborate on your experience with the PDF manual. I’m curious what you felt were the shortcomings because I’ve had a very positive experience with the written documentation.

1 Like

I do not want to discourage anybody from using the PDF manual. My experience was less than stellar because I do not hnow the buzz words of the trade. That said, I wanted to learn about the controls and windows used 90% of the time. I knew I had a settings issue, but could not determine the actual problem using search words. When EVERYTHING is going wrong, it is easy to get exasperated. I find navigating the PDF difficult because I am not “laser educated”. That is not Lightburn’s fault, it is mine. To put things in perspective, I am a retired techie that gets, due to other projects like Ham radio, to play with my Sainsmart about once every three months. I suppose this forces me to be a perpetual newbie.

I can understand the OP’s point as I am one to ask some simple questions to myself and wonder if is to common to post it here. To add to his question is there a place with a table of contents to get access to the videos that would answer most questions before they get posted?
As Oz stated I find them from a Google search
And is there an order to watch them to develop a good practice on proper work flow?
Some talk about stuff that I did not learn yet

1 Like

Would love to hear more about this image improvement? what machine do you have and what is this preset?

If you select your image then right click on it you get a drop down menu. One of the headings here is Adjust image. Select that and you get a panel with options to adjust the image. What I have found is a narrow blank box with preset next to it. If you click on this box there are two presets already for you to select. These are supplied by Lightburn. You also have the option to adjust your image and save the settings as a preset for later use. I cant find this in their documentation, but may have over looked it. I’m finding this a very useful featcher and it saves wriing down all my tried settings on a note pad.
Atomstack A5 with 40W upgraded laser head.

I also fight with the search tools. I’ve found more complete results with Google but there’s a catch. I have to recall the words, to find a particular post - not the meaning and not the synonyms - the specific words.

I appreciate the different perspectives that different professions bring to the Forum, and I agree that the scope of equipment available to LightBurn is vast and growing. The controller type is paramount to “Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?” in our daily efforts playing 20 Questions on the forum. :slight_smile:

Agreed… no argument here.

Without the terminology well-in-hand, searches can be challenging and offer mixed results.

We ask users to fill in their User Profile info with their equipment information.
btw. Yours is Perfect and Thank You!

I’ll ask my boss if we can use User Profile info to adjust forum search results to make the results better and steer incomplete User Profiles to more introductory search results. That might be a really simple automation. Thanks for the seed for the idea.

Absolutely! And we all started somewhere.

Agreed, the terminology is the hurdle. It can’t be searched if the term is unknown.

Agreed. The emotional challenge is more often greater than the technical challenge. Further, the assignment of Unknown Error to Everything in Error is a common personal choice that can be absolutely overwhelming.

From the perspective of some experience (here, in Life and elsewhere) I can see that an Error means that the User is very close to ideal or optimal outcomes. For example, for an error message to be displayed, controller communication is occurring, motion is happening or not happening, things are powered on, the hard drive is working.
For a laser to be misbehaving, it has an observable behavior which means even more things are working.

Most folks are 95-98% of the way to their goals whether they know it or not.

When new users have errors, we occasionally get quite impossible to answer questions, like “My laser is broken.” or “Please help me.” We have a stock answer to help new users formulate more thorough questions.

If I was more consistently clairvoyant I would likely spend more time day trading.

Please ask, It helps us shape the documentation and find weaknesses in our approach and explanations.

This is a good idea. Table of contents, Index and search terms for the videos.
I’ll bring this to the Video Creation team. Thank you.

I have not found this order. :slight_smile: There is an interest in unorthodox or esoteric workflow that provides new ideas and directions for development but proper and improper aren’t as formally defined for LightBurn being a tool for craft, as they would be for Graphic Design, Engineering Drawing or other Commercial endeavors.

We are absolutely willing to advise and offer recommendations on the fastest ways to get to your goals. Most users have very different goals in mind so articulating this clearly, even with images of similar desired outcomes is very helpful for discussion.

I will go look and if I can’t find it I will ask the documentation team where it may be found. We haven’t documented everything. The developers are really good at adding exquisite hidden features and then surprising us with their innovations.

I think they set out to surprise each other which seems to delight them.

Thanks for all of this. It’s been very helpful.

I think that’s a good idea personally. I realized late that there was more in depth documentation (from the beginner documentation) and I was tremendously embarrassed that I had asked so many questions that would have easily been solved had I read the proper documentation. I’m extremely grateful for all of the help that so many people have offered up. Currently half way through the reading. Hoping to get some serious reading done over the course of the next couple weeks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.