Cutting 3mm ply

Hello all

I have a NEJE Master 2S Plus, I am a novice however getting great results engraving, cutting however is another matter.

I have followed lots of advice from focusing the laser beneath the ply - to slowing the laser to 200/90% with 5 passes. All I get is burnt wood and no sign of it cutting right through.

I would appreciate some further advice from you guys - what am I doing wrong? Is there something I haven’t done. I’m sure I am missing something simple yet crucial.

Many thanks

Kim

That doesn’t seem right, but with only 2.5 watts of power I would start by focusing on top of the wood.

Also, did you do an actual focus test? Run a small board at an angle and run the laser the length.
Your not trying to cut here, just look at the point that gives you the best focus.

You can also slow the speed down, 200 is going a bit fast for that power of diode.

Air flow across the part will help also if you want to add that, it’s very inexpensive.

Hi Pete

I have focused the laser and am now able to cut the ply, however it takes an age to cut something out.

Is that usually the case when cutting?

Many thanks Kim

With such a low powered diode laser, unfortunately, yes.

@KimSlater I didn’t see you actually indicate what laser module you were using but see some responses that rely on this information. Is that stated somewhere else?

If not, can you specify your specific laser module?

Sorry missed that info 30w module

The majority of people look only at the marketing hype, 30 watt module tells you how much power the unit consumes, you want optical power OUTPUT of the laser.

Unfortunately that is the world we live in, now consider yourself one of the informed.

Look for optical power from the diode.

1 Like

Where would I find that, it only says 30w on the side of the unit

I assume this is the A40630 or N40630 which neje claims as 5.5W output.

You should be able to cut 3mm ply but to be clear, it won’t necessarily be easy and will depend on a lot of factors.

I talk about some of the challenges and factors involved in this lengthy post here:

Even in the best case this won’t be “fast”. Neje claims being able to cut 3mm ply at 120 mm/min @100% power in one pass. I would consider that a best case type of number. If you have any inconsistencies or voids in the wood you might never get through.

Take a look through the post but the 3 biggest factors for a good cut are going to be focus, air assist, and material type given your laser. If you don’t have air assist I would say don’t even bother with plywood. You should be able to cut solid woods like balsa or birch without air assist.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.