Cutting neoprene foam

Hello I am new to laser cutting and couldn’t find any setting recommendation for cutting that stuff, there is someone that have some suggestion? The neoprene foam is 5mm thick.

Just do material tests. Should cut at pretty low power I would think. Don’t know how toxic it will be.

I would say laser cutting Neoprene (Polychloroprene) wouldn’t be advisable as it contains chlorine (like PVC does) and is very likely to produce toxic and/or corrosive fumes.

I understand, but that the stuff I need I will put on a mask for gas 3M and ventilate properly. what about a speed of 6000 m/m and 60% for exemple to start, does that make sense?

What do you thing that could be a good m/m and % to start testing?

That’s great that you’re using appropriate PPE but the HCl gas which could potentially be released can draw water vapour out of the air and settle on the components of your laser as hydrochloric acid. Hydrochloric acid is highly corrosive to aluminium and other materials so it’s best to avoid cutting chlorine containing materials. However, it’s your laser and it’s obviously up to you whether you want to take the risk, I just thought I’d alert you to the potential issues.

I don’t know about speed and power as the only foam I’ve cut is 1.6mm black EVA with my 5.5W Ortur. For that I used 2000mm/m @ 60% but I’ve not really optimised that so I might be able to go faster and/or at a lower power.

Thanks you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.