Design Software help please

Thanks Bjorn!

1 Like

Jamie! This is amazing, thank you so much for your efforts, it is a massively help and I’ll definitely use ChatGPT with other issues in the future thank you!

Lightburn Can import AI files directly, but not the current format. If anyone wants to send you Illustrator files, ask them to save as Illustrator 8 format ( it’s a menu dropdown choice when you save in Illustrator). Also, you will probably have less problems if you also have them “convert to outlines” all their text.

Hope this helped.

Hi Jay, thanks, that’s a massive help. Outlining text seems to be key

Hi all, I just wanted to give a bit of an update

Thanks for all your help. It seems outlining text in illustrator is key. What I also recently discovered was that customers were quite frequently sending me files that were made in illustrator by applying a clipping mask. When I then tried to open the file in lightburn the clipping masks were not transferred across. See attached file, I tried in a multitude of ways and methods to edit this in lightburn…no joy in making it a usable file.

These are switch panels with contour design and cutlines to incorporate switches. The way the file opened in lightburn meant the circle cutlines were not circles, they were individual portions of the cutlines…it was a nightmare.

I then discovered that I needed to release the clipping masks in illustrator and that meant the contours design opened in lightburn as one grouped ‘section’ which meant I could Boolean the design to the control panel and around its its text and switch holes…oomph steep learning curve!

1 Like

Yeah, this is a problem that many people who come to Lightburn after using programs like Corel and AI have. They are experienced at creating and editing illustrations but Lightburn is not an image design tool, its purpose is to create and edit tool paths.
That usually results in amazing work in Ai or Affinity Designer being absolute garbage when it is imported into Lightburn.

Hi Rob, thanks! Yes, exactly the problem I’m trying to solve as I get many files sent to me like this. Do you have any suggestions of resources or videos on how to produce a design in AI that’s usable in lightburn? I can’t seem to find any information on the steps that are required, thanks!

I don’t use AI, I use Affinity Designer and Inkscape, so I can’t help you there, but there are a few things you have to keep in mind.

1. If you have a file that uses masks, textures, fancy strokes, color gradients lighting effects and all of the other fancy do-dads, you may be better off to convert everything to a single layer by converting it to a raster. The same goes for vectors that have hundreds of curves used to render heaps of colors.
  2. Lightburn doesn’t care if a stroke is 10pt or 0.10 pt or even if there isn’t a stroke & just a fill.
  3. If you are going to use Ai to create files to import them into lightburn I would recommend importing the Lightburn color palette. you can find the related info and download link here.
    it is easier to fix the cutting layer colors in the imaging software before it goes to lightburn than it is after lightburn “corrects” them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.