Difference between two CO2 laser power supplies

Can someone explain the difference between these two power supplies?
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32582061535.html
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32721737928.html

I only see that the blue one si for RECI CO2 lasers and it has 40kV max output, while the black one is universal and it has 28kV max output.
But both of them are rated for 100 W lasers and even the second one in the questions section, someone says that it is suitable for Reci w2 tubes.

Do RECI lasers only operate at 40kV?

This post might provide some insight: Fitting new laser tube. High Voltage Tails - how to splice / join - #2 by jkwilborn

Unfortunately, that post is about high voltage connectors, not about power supplies :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep in mind, this is my opinion…

These are for the CR series from Cloud Ray. Maximum current is 28mA maximum…

Notice the trigger voltage… the tube can’t fire until the dc potential (voltage) reaches the trigger voltage. The CR100 will draw 28mA at full power. I couldn’t quickly find anything on the Reci W2 series as far a trigger voltage, although I’ve see it before… They are probably similar as the trigger voltage is related to physical size.

These are the two lps you question…

Notice:

1. response time
  2. max output voltage
  3. max current

IMHO, there is no comparison…

On one of them, the response time is quicker, higher voltage and more current.

If one will reach 40kV in the same amount of time the other can only reach 28kV. The 40kV model will give you a quicker response time for your tube.

This is why I’d buy the DY-13, it will get to the trigger voltage in less time.

Make sense?

If you want the item under Cloud Ray warranty, then you have to purchase the item from the Cloud Ray site, not one of it’s vendors… fyi…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

@jkwilborn Thank you for your reply. I would take cautiously the response speed. Since it is <= 1ms for both, therefore you can’t say for sure that one is faster than the other.

For example the DY-13 could reach 40kV in 1 ms and the other power supply could reach 28 kV in 0.3 ms, which makes it reach 28kV earlier than the DY-13, assuming a linear transition.

Since:

• Black power supply: max output voltage is 28kV and max output current is 30mA
  • blue power supply: max output voltage is 40kV and max output current is 32mA

What happens if I connect a 28kV trigger voltage tube to the blue power supply? At the same output current, will the greater voltage break the tube?

I’ve given you the specifications and my opinion…

Do what you wish…

Good luck

:smile_cat: