Difficulty with GRBL being non-responsive

That seems reasonable. I’m digging through the code now, looking for this myself. what happens on ‘?’ is…not obvious. The report is easy, finding where the ‘?’ gets processed is non-obvious.

I haven’t looked at GRBL code in a long time. I think it’s an “escape” style command, not processed in the gcode buffer parser. Do you have a serial terminal? It might be worth checking to see if the controller replies with OK to a newline. Because I believe I add one to make sure. (Smoothieware, for example, doesn’t add ok after console commands, so I append a newline to force it to)

Got a message from Paul, appears to be because of the extra axis in the pin part (Pn:PAB) of the report. I need to play with that a bit. He recommends bridging A, B limits and P, which I’m not sure I understand the reason for, but will take a look. Already bridge A and B limits.

I’ve rebuilt the code with the “ok” back in (Paul took it out for some reason?) and can get things working, so that’s good. Does work fine over the serial interface built into this board (meant for bluetooth), but USB fails to initialize for some reason that needs some more investigation.

1 Like

He took it out? That’s changing the protocol, and really not a good idea. A lot of software looks for that.

LightBurn uses the ‘ok’ ack to know that the controller has finished processing and replying to the message. Without an ‘ok’, it might not be done yet.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.