Diode laser and electrical bill

Bah, bought this one… no amperage!! :smiley: I should have read it first!

What sort of technique are you using to engrave your tiles? Are you using the Norton White Tile Method? I have a 10 watt diode and I have never spent more than 30 or 40 minutes per tile. But 5 hours?

Yea i was going for norton white tile method but accidentally got black paint and thsts the thing i csnt figure out the proper settings to do it with my Laser which is a atom stack p7 m30 5.5 w

The NTM method uses TiO2 to bind to glass and turn black.

Most of the time this is in white paint.

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

I suggest you get some new tiles (they’re inexpensive) and get a can of Rust-Oleum Painter’sTouch 2X Gloss White Spray Paint. Then pull up this page.

And follow the instructions.

Be sure sure to clean the tile well with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Tiles have a wax coating that makes them easier to grout if you are tiling a counter or a wall. The alcohol will remove the wax.

Ok thanks i have plenty of tiles so is black just not possible to do or at all? because (and i don’t want to sound cheap ) its just i cant drive so i rely on transportation but i have a whole can of black for that use really but if i need to i can get white paint but below is my current supplies just to make every clear on subject

White 4x4 ceramic tile about 12
Acetone cleaner gallon can
And lacquer thinner 1 gallon

As far as the paint Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover, 12 Oz, Flat Black ….

Is this deja vu?

Here are basic steps:

1. clean tile with a solvent
  2. spray black onto white tile, let dry
  3. prepare image, use a dither based image mode, and set image to negative
  4. burn image
  5. review burn
  6. if unacceptable results then adjust settings based on review
  7. erase tile with solvent
  8. repeat

Start with something relatively small as you’ll inevitably get it wrong on the first try.

You may want to run the material test generator from here to help dial in settings. Note that again, you want to negate the image in settings.
Lightburn Advanced PowerScale Generator - O2 Creative

It matters how you present your new knowledge…

To be clear, I had a similar discussion with my dad when I was younger. I would fall asleep sometimes and leave a TV on all night and get in all kinds of trouble. At some point the cost was a huge factor in the transgression (he was working about 70 hours a week at the time if I remember) so I called the electric company and gave them the specifications off the back of the TV and they told me it cost about a quarter per month to run it.

I took that new information and then decided to give my dad the quarters from the money I earned mowing so I would not be in trouble, but for some reason it did not go as well as I had hoped.

I am just sayin’… :wink:

I think it is quite an interesting and important topic, what does it cost to drive with a laser.
Today I connected an energy meter to find out what my production costs are on the electrical side.
In 8 hours I have used approx. 3.5 KWh. Production was mixed today, with many different single jobs. The cooling machine (compressor) CW5000 has approx. drove for a third of the time and I mainly drove with approx. 12 mA on my co2 laser. For compressed air I used 2 small air pumps with 360 L/m each today, they are not as noisy as my regular air compressor.
I don’t think that the total power consumption is high, with a continuous production of 8 hours, I think that the consumption comes up to approx. 4-5 KWh. on a full production day.
The only difference is perhaps the price of the electricity, which I have had to pay approx. $1/KWh here in DK throughout the last quarter of 2022, that corresponds to three times the normal electricity price. There are many here who earn a golden nose from the crappy war the Russians are waging in Europe.

I managed to grab a four pack of these some time ago, and the power consumption feature was quite useful to let me know when my charging was complete, as the current draw would drop to less than a tenth of a Watt. Unfortunately, the next batch I purchased did not have this feature. A conversation with the company representative provided the information that the parts source for that particular circuit was a victim of the economy/supply chain/etc. and that feature was no longer available!

I use “Sonoff POW R2” for controlling and measuring power consumption and am very satisfied with them. However, POW R2 has also been discontinued and replaced by R3. In addition to a different form factor, the new version lacks the ground connection, but this can be solved in another way.
In addition to monitoring, POW can also provide alarms for max/min load and voltage. Of course, there are also many options for home automation with built-in wifi/bt.

I actually used white paint and I also use Lacquer Thinner to clean The etched part is clearly visible.

I totally agree. That 8 to 9 hours would go down to 15 to 20 mins., just that alone with worth the cost. He could get a K40 from OmTech with the controller to run lightburn for about $700.

What settings do use use to burn a tile that quick? Must be using a very high speed and power settings or are you using a CO2?.

14 cents !!! Daylight Robbery…In Spain we pay around 25 cents per KWH, in the UK my son pays around 48 Pence per KWH !!! Youre lucky !!!

I use TIO2 bought at amazon,mixed with alcohol. cleanup is under water about 30 seconds. this gives me a nice engraving, if it needs a touch up I use a black sharpie and then wipe gently with a dampened paper towel.( alcohol ) I spray its better. ck out the Norton method on the web!!!

Type norton in the search bar of this site…

:smile_cat:

Dads can be a little militant about electricity consumption. My sons never understood until they got families and houses of their own. They’ve since told me they now understand and tell stories about following their loved ones around, shutting off lights.

And they aren’t using 100W incandescents. Before LED, I had 1500W of halogen lighting just in my kitchen.

I’m guilty of being that dad. Kinda silly, tho, it’s the other stuff that really impacts you.

The display aquarium on my main floor used to consume something like 1500W on it’s own. That’s down some now since it’s no longer on HO CF tube lights, but not much you can do about heat and pumps. 600W of heat and about 150W for the pumps.

Class A/B audio amps and CRT displays are also pretty much dead. My old home AV equipment used a TON of power. I don’t even want to guess…

My cooling bill went down NOTICABLY by making changes to those things. LED illumination and class D amps produce WAAY less HEAT. Double savings…in the summer anyway.

When I used to ride the scooter around LA, California, I had a 1.1 gallon tank… With the gas wars all over LA, I could fill it, give them a quarter and get about 15 cents back…

Then I got a radio license and found the prices in Europe was much more than S. California… for everything.

Nuclear generators came out with the promise of pennies/kilowatt…

Those were the days…

Times change…

:smile_cat: