Diode laser disconnects during burn because of electric interference(any suggestions?)

Hi there,

I have a sculpfun s30 pro and it keeps disconnected during burns. Now i am pretty sure it is because of my electricity system at my home. Because i witnessed that, it exactly disconnected once when my fridge motor started to work and once my 3d printer turned on. And also i have read some other users faced similar problems because of electiricty. I am asking your kind suggestions about what i can do to improve and stop electric interferences with my other plugged in electric hardware at home. Is there a simple way to do that such as just buying a plug that protects devices? Or do i need to make complicated wires to ground the machine from the laser head like one user did in this forum?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

There are two ways an external device can cause issues.

1. power line noise or a drop in voltage when the device turns on
  2. RFI generated by the motor or the it’s switching device

I would think any power line issues would be cleaned up by the power supply that came with your laser. The only exception would be a drop in mains voltage, which I doubt.

The remaining RFI is tough to deal with… In the US, it’s illegal to generate RFI that interferes with other devices… need to take into consideration that your laser probably isn’t up to those standards, but I don’t know for sure.

Before I’d rewire my home and invest in a battery backup, I’d ask what you are doing when it fails. If you are doing photo type work, the connection needs to be stable to allow a vast amount of data to be passed to the machine.

USB has two data wires, these are supposed to be differentiated, which should exclude problems with the usb and RFI … unfortunately many of these cables are of poor quality. A usb cable has a specified maximum length of 3m I believe…

Have you tried a different cable?

Is there any other way to connect?

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Your line voltage may be dropping enough to interfere with the laser. I had issues when I laser cut material. The power supplies on these lasers are really not big enough and they regulate the voltage very good. What I did to resolve my problem was to use a PC power supply to supply the laser with 12VDC. They are very good at regulating the voltage and can handle the current draw. I actually found that my laser worked a lot better on the PC power supply. I used to cut wood with 6 passes but after the power supply was replaced, I could cut the same wood in only 4 passes.

1 Like

Thanks for your all input , i really appreciate. Here are some other details about my situation. I live in EU and we use 220v. But i live in a really old apartment, thus guessing everything is really old about electricity. I use usb to ethernet cable converter (this piece is around 5 cm-not longer than a hand) but the ethernet cable is really long like 10 meters(33 feet).Then i again convert it from ethernet to usb female by a converter. I dont know, this might also be the issue? Because my computer is a desktop one and computer and laser cutter can’t be in the same room in my case.

What i do when it fails is, thanks to lightburn, i can see in the log that the time spend on the job. So i click alt+p to preview, and continue from where it left. But it is really tiring.

It’s possible a UPS or power conditioner could address some of the issues you’re facing.

I recommend adding an EMI filter in front of the power supply. This seemed to have helped quite some people. I put a link here: Guide to mechanical adjustments and maintenance

Thank you for the new suggestions, i am thinking of buying an EMI filter. I will let here know if it works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.