Disappearing Threads

More than once, I have seen a topic posted asking for help with an issue that is perplexing the OP. On occasion, I have even commented on some of these threads, offering a wee bit of help, hoping to point the person in the direction of a solution. And then, that thread suddenly just disappears. Nowhere to be found anywhere on this forum.

So what is going on? Do topics just randomly disappear because the electron pixies waved their wands, or are the OPs of these disappearing threads known trolls or abusers of the forum? It’s a bit of a mystery that I wish I understood better.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen that. Some topics will occasionally get split or other reorganized to better organize the posts but I don’t think I’ve seen Topics disappear.

Can you reference any specifically?

You may want to check your own profile activity and check to see if they’re visible there.

They if I made a comment, they disappear from my profile… like they never existed.

Can you think of one in particular, either by topic, user, or something else? I can check to see if I get anything different from what you’re seeing.

Ok, sure… There was a topic posted yesterday, regarding the laser homing properly, with absolute coordinates set, the job would start in a much different location than was shown on the LB display. This was rather like a problem that I suffered, and it turned out to be that I had managed to inadvertently set some offset coordinates.

I think the initial post was made sometime late on Jan 31 (though I could be wrong about that). What puzzled me was that there was no response to the post, for what seemed like a fairly routine problem. Anyway, late yesterday, I posted to that thread, saying that it sounded like there was an offset problem, and that the OP might try using the $# command to try and sort that out. I was the only one that had replied to the OP at that point.

This morning, I checked this forum, and the thread had completely disappeared. Not even a “deleted by author” sort of notice.

Something very similar happened with a topic a few days earlier, but my “remembery” isn’t very good about the details of that.

An update… I did find the thread, but it has disappeared from my “activity” list. Very curious.

The OP was Trish213,
The topic was: Laser Position is not matching what it looks like on Lightburn

So the thread did not disappear, except from the list of my recent activity. Or perhaps it disappeared from my “Notifications” list that shows up under my “avitar” when I click it.

All of this may be much ado about nothing (other than my misunderstanding about how the forum functions).

A notification would only appear there if you were responded to, mentioned, quoted, or direct messaged.

However, if you click on your avatar, then preferences, then Activity, you should see all your posts.

Yeah, I think I just figured that out. Mea culpa, with apologies for my poor understanding of how the forum works.

And thanks for helping with this little journey of discovery.