Do we need a sticky list of lasers with validation of power/cutting claims

I recently bought my first complete laser from Zbaitu It claimed to have an 80w laser yet it did not cut anything like they said it would . I had a too and fro with the seller who said in the end “send the whole thing back” This had its problems as i would never arrive back in new condition as it had been assembled and had marks on it from that process.
I decided to keep what I had and solve it another way .

Yesterday my 80w /10w laser from

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004675035416.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.23.41b81802tJ2EQt

arrived and it cuts like the claims made by the Zbaitu add. Clearly my laser was faulty from day one … Clearly the seller was not really interested in fact that I might have been right .

This will happen over and over to every newbie new to lasers and look for the best deal.
How can a newbie know that they have been swindled?

My new propper 80w /10w laser was 100 dollars cheaper than my bundled one so its not really about price .

any way this laser listed goes verry well , i dont know for how long or if there is variation in quality but with nothing else , this is well worth the dough …so far …

I continue to battle with zbaitu for a warranty claim …fingers crossed.

Hi.

An interesting idea :).

To answer the question in the title, a conditional yes would be my take on the subject.

Conditional, because a “normal” thread where everyone would list somethin or other, based solely on (somewhat questionable in the big picture) experiences on their own setups and machines, would IMO be next to useless because the format would be all over the place, and the results wouldnt’t be comparable anyway.
Not to mention that if there’s any opinion based discussion allowed within that kind of a sticky, it’ll most likely evolve pretty fast into a megathread that does not serve the intended purpose.

OTOH, if the sticky would be based on a prearranged form that everyone would fill with the results from a standardized test (material cutting test perhaps?), and the results would be compiled by someone into an easily readable thread (or a FAQ), that would IMO work very well in aiding someone who ponders about what kind of laser would suit their particular needs, and what would not.

The only problem -and that’s IMO a major one- for “benching” a laser system in a way that would be beneficial for everyone, will be measuring the optical power and/or the beam diameter in a way that is accurate and reliable.
Sure, a “standardized” cutting test would give a ballpark figure of the power and the cababilities of the system, but the material would have to be something that everyone around the world would be able to aquire, and preferably for a reasonable cost.
For diode lasers, “aviation” plywood would perhaps be such a material?
Perhaps not?

Regards.
Sam

Personally I do not see the point of adding to what is already available on the WWW. YouTube is full of reviews, which I have in many cases found very misleading. I have seen videos of my own equipment slagged off by wannabe experts and It all relates to incompetent users. Lasers are not the only thing that suffer from reviewers who should be removed for giving inaccurate information. My advice is to buy what seems to fit your requirements and if it dose not do what is claimed use the trades description act. The law is on your side if assembly is required to test and use an item. Providing you have assembled it according to the instructions, you have every right to return for a complete refund including postage. Ask the seller first for help. If that don’t resolve the problem then apply the thumbscrews of the law.

1 Like

Even if I’m an old fart and newbee to laser, I got mine 3 months ago and all I needed to decide what to buy was already on the net. Talking to other users,neo and pro was a big help. And of course LIGHTBURN.
Without lightburn I’m not sure if I’had cross the rubicon…

1 Like