Does a K40 power supply hold a charge?

I’m repairing a K40 for a customer, and I’ve been frequently powering it up and down. I’m crapping my pants touching the laser lead, as the tube is currently on the test bench. Will the power supply still knock me on my butt if it’s unplugged and been sitting for a few minutes like. All the people online say?? I thought most modern power supplies had a bleeder resistor. Is this a myth, or ??? I’ve never worried about it before, but for some reason, I’m paranoid about it now.

one thing to keep in mind is that the people who make these machines are the same people who sell us kids toys coated in lead based paint. trust nothing :slight_smile:

1 Like

And therein lies my paranoia… :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

just like when i was training for crt bench level repair, keep one hand in your pocket LOL. also dissipate it slowly as the flybacks and rectifier in those things are prone to critical failure even under normal use (that may be what you are replacing anyway hehe).

There are some pretty beefy caps inside my PSU so the answer is probably yes. I don’t have much faith in any of the components of any Chinese PSU so it’s probably better to be safe than sorry. A discharge stick is pretty easy to make yourself, easy to use and cheap insurance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.