Does upgrading to DSP version extend your license?

I got LB gcode last year, and my update license has about 3 weeks to go.

I just got a new Omtech 55W and upgraded Lightburn to the DSP version a few days ago, and it still shows the update expiry to be the same as before. Is this the intended function?

I’m wondering if I just should have waited and did the DSP full purchase after expiration since I seem to have to pay another full year in the next couple weeks.

Correct, renewal is separate from an upgrade.
One of the reasons for this is that, remember, your software won’t stop working if you don’t renew. You just won’t get any further updates that are released after the expiry date of your license. So if you upgrade from GCode to DSP (for which we only charge you the difference in cost between the two licenses) you will still be able to enjoy all the DSP features until the end of time, even if you don’t renew.
In fact, it’s entirely possible to upgrade your license after it has already expired.
But this is why we also strive to keep the renewal cost at a very reasonable $30. Which is the only price we didn’t increase back in August.

3 Likes

That is extremely reasonable!

2 Likes

Ah I get it. I mistakenly thought each year the renewal was the same price as a new purchase! Apologies for not exploring more on the page.

Yes this all makes more sense now and is very reasonable for such a great app!

3 Likes

It depends on what the manufacturer is thinking when they give you a warranty. Is it:

A: “This things’s a piece if crap but for what you paid we figure it needs to last you at least a year”, or

B: “We use quality materials and take pride in our workmanship so if something goes wrong it’ll probably be within the first year of manufacture”.

For the first one the warranty would be from the original sale, the second one the warranty would restart from delivery of any replacement.

(Yeah, it’s always the first one).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.