Enclosure question

Hopefully this is the right section to ask this question. I have 2 Creality Falcon lasers mounted to a 3X6 table that I use in my garage, I recently read that cold air will affect laser performance and could also damage the lens due to condensation build up. Can I use a grow tent to enclose the table and lasers and use a heater in the grow tent to keep everything warm so that I can continue operating the laser as the temps start to drop and into the winter. I do not have the possibility of having the laser inside my house due to lack of space. I forgot to mention that I also have the machines in Creality enclosures.

If the lenses get cold, then you go in and breath on them, they’re going to fog up. You certainly could keep them in a lightly warmed enclosure, I can’t see an issue with it, a little bit of environment control certainly won’t harm your setup.

How cold is it outside?

It can only condense on the lens if it’s colder than the air surrounding the lenses dew point. If that makes sense…

:smile_cat:

Currently it is roughly 63 degrees in the garage, it will get colder as we get closer to winter.

Until you prove this is worth it, I wonder…

The relative humidity is pretty low for it to contain much moisture, especially as the temperature drops.

The biggest source of moisture/debris is from the engraving operation itself.

By definition lasing is heating it, any natural material will probably have some water vapor present, if not it will likely have tar or soot created.

All of the produced debris, including water, is at high temperatures and will no doubt condense on the lens, along with the rest of the exposed machine.

Enough air assist is probably the best defense. Along with getting debris out of the enclosure as fast as possible, less time to condense out … then it condenses elsewhere :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I have a co2, have used it down to about 48F, about as tough as I get…

There are no problems with the lens staying clean. The tube actually lases at a lower power value than when the temperatures are higher…

Still haven’t figured that one out yet…?

If you have air assist from a relatively dry source, I don’t think you’ll have problems. The only way to know is try it…

Might have to check it more often that normal, but shouldn’t be a brain teaser…

Good luck

So I decided to go a different route by not getting a grow tent. I added radiant barrier insulation to a corner of the garage that the lasers will be used in. I also purchased 2 heavy duty tarps to enclose the area which will help maintain heat from a portable heater.

Do you happen to recommend any fume extractors for the laser? Opening the garage door to vent out the smoke is soon not going o be an option.

I don’t have a ventilation system other than it goes outside…

I have seen the price of the machine and the cost of cartridges that you need to use…

Russ has a pretty expansive one, replacement filters are expensive, so he has a pre-filter to help extend their life.

There is a number of people around that have diy’d or bought them… so hang around…

Good luck