Engrave over work area

I have a design where it is necessary that lightburn will engrave up to the edge of the work area but my design goes over the work area several times.I don’t want spend now again some time to break always those points and bring it to lightburn possible to engrave it without not engraving the pieces of what are over the work area.

So how can I do this?

The Cut Shapes tool will extract just the section you want engraved from the larger pattern. Note that it works only with vector patterns, as in the blue C01 layer in your settings.

However, unless the machine’s homing and maximum axis travel settings are perfect, the machine will likely stop with an error condition when the path reaches the edge. Leave a few millimeters on each side and do several practice runs on cardboard before deploying the spendy stuff. :grin:

Obviously, you should save a copy / make a duplicate of the overall pattern before chopping hunks out of it.

Remember that engraving exactly to the edge will not work, because the laser head requires overtravel to accelerate and decelerate on each side of the pattern.

I expect you are getting Out of Bounds error messages. Lightburn will try to burn whatever is selected. The Workarea defines the physical limits of your machine. You cannot cut past those limits, so the design to be burned must be inside those boundaries.

The selection in your image (the lighter blue area) should be okay as long as you are using Line mode. But the overall project is much too large for your laser. Yhis is where some are using the Print & Cut feature.

thank you very much for the advise.will try this out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.