[Feature Request] or [Bug report]: Reset command for 32bit boards (ctrl+x)

I recently ran into in issue with the more and more common ESP32 boards. In this case, the Sculpfun S30, but if I recall correctly, I had the same with the MKS DLC32 board.
I think even the firmware doesn’t matter, it affects the MKS, Sculpfun and FluidNC firmware.

If an alarm was triggered (like alarm 2 for soft-limits) the controller must be reset to be operable again. The command that needs to be sent to the firmware is ctrl+x (single byte command with value 0x18). I didn’t find any way in LightBurn to send this command. If you right-click on the devices button, the serial connection is closed and opened, which has a reset effect for 8bit boards, but not on 32bit boards. Those boards can only be recovered by a power cycle currently.
LaserGRBL has the ability to send this command, and it works (I can reset the controller after alarm). In LB, I was unable to do this.
grafik

Or did I miss something? @berainlb @Colin @LightBurn

Try pushing the Stop button in LightBurn. I remember something vaguely about this. Else try right-clicking Devices button.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. Seems to do it. But I think it’s nowhere documented, right? So the stop button sends ctrl+x in case there is no job running?

Right-clicking devices button is not a solution, it breaks the connection completely! In a case of such an alarm, that is actually what users should NOT do (right now).

Then, this error message is misleading (for 32bit boards):

ALARM:2
G-code motion target exceeds machine travel. Machine position safely retained. Alarm may be unlocked. (Right-click the 'Devices' button to reset the connection)

It advises to right-click the devices button which will break the connection. If you do this, you can’t connect anymore to the laser. You need to power cycle.
I would suggest:

• Make the right-click on the devices button send the ctrl+x before closing the serial port (easiest fix)
  • Change the error message that users should click on STOP first before right-click on the devices button (might be complicated for users)
  • Add another button that is labeled “Controller Reset” or the like, which sends ctrl+x. (might also be complicated because that only works if they didn’t right-click on devices button before. Maybe it should only be active, when an alarm has been triggered)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.