Finally got some tiles

Kids’ needed to go to HD for some stuff yesterday and I managed to piggy-back a carton of ceramic tiles onto their shopping list. These are my first full-tile engravings… 2.5W laser on DIY CNC machine, 1200 mm/min, 85% power, Jarvis dither, ~300 DPI, unrecognizable faces…

Pretty pleased with the attempt. Obviously need to learn how to measure tiles properly and center the image… and need more practice processing photos for lasering (I know virtually nothing about photography…). The rest of it is a piece of cake. Thanks, @Bulldog, for the inspiration.

– David

5 Likes

You did a super job for your first attept.

Thank you!

It’s been a good day…

and I can retire, satisfied.

– David

1 Like

@dkj4linux Amazing for first time woo…for centering I place a small piece of masking tape in centre,draw a line from each cross corner…focus laser on small x…remove tape set job to cehtre

2 Likes

David, Jim,
What does your preview look like before you burn?
My previews always look horrible.

Excellent work Jim.

These are the previews for the three images I’ve shared here…

To my untrained eye, the Milkmaid photo engraved best… and her preview is darkest overall. Then Charles Bronson, then Patrick Stewart (too light, too little contrast?).

– David

Do you adjust the properties pf the picture at all?

Again, I’m untrained in photography stuff… but, yes, I adjusted the shape properties a bit…

Here I have the Milkmaid selected… and shape properties shown. I usually set the gamma first, then enhance radius, enhance amount, and, finally, brightness and contrast… until it looks about right to my untrained eye. May totally be the wrong way to go about it but it’s what I do… until I know better.

– David

Finally, the last of the my initial batch of four painted tiles…

I have an incredibly talented teenage grand-daughter who loves to sketch… and fills sketchbook after sketchbook with very detailed scenes, lots of activity, and recurring characters; i.e. there’s an almost “Where’s Waldo” quality to it. She imagines something in her head and it seems to magically flow out her fingertips. It’s really fascinating to watch and I’m very proud of her. This was a quick snapshot of just one page among many…

– David

2 Likes

Hi Dad! (David) :slight_smile: Reading through all this to start getting into this myself…

1 Like

And a self-portrait…

Here it is being lasered… with “Raiders of the Lost Ark” on TV in the background… :wink:

– David

2 Likes

@ all black unless you Zoom in …

1 Like

Yep… pretty dark unless you zoom in…

Kids’ 19th anniversary photo…

I’m probably gonna play with this one some more… it seems a bit “splotchy” in her hair. Something with the coating of paint?

Thanks, Jim.

– David

This is what i keep getting. (all the streaks in the picture)
I cant seem to figure it out.

I,ve been getting that…its the humidity here…so I take a hair Dryer to them for 5-10 minutes

1 Like

I,ve spent countless hours to resolve this issue
I have numerous documents / videos
here

Hi Jim,
I looked but couldn’t find anything addressing that problem.
What am I missing?

Alright! All this silliness aside, on to some more serious subject matter…

Things are looking up… :thinking:

– David

@JVLhttps://www.facebook.com/notes/eleksmaker-led-discussion/those-pesky-linescanvasbanding-issueseffects/536922996958721/

1 Like