First try at picture - looking for help / advice

I have a jtech 3.8w laser and have been playing with different things. Pretty excited to get better at this, see a lot of potential. I’m trying my first picture with lightburn.

i imported it directly into Lightburn with the following settings - image

So far this is what I’ve got - after 3hrs

Any thoughts on what I can change to improve?

That image is going to be tricky, because even just looking at the original it’s hard to pick out the details.

Try this - select the image, right-click and Show Properties. Set these values:

The original is on the left, the adjusted one is on the right. The enhancement exaggerates the edge details a bit, and I increased the contrast, and lowered the gamma to give you a bit more brightness range:

1 Like

Thanks Oz! The current one is almost done. I’m going to write my setting / time / etc under each image as a go. I’ll put your settings in and start another test soon. What about speed and power? Do they look ok for now?

I would go faster with more power myself, but I’m not sure how fast the controller you have will go. That looks like an X-Carve, so it’s probably running 8 bit GRBL, which is going to limit you some. I would drop the DPI down to the default (254) until you have things dialed in a little more, and then change one thing at a time from there.

Hey Oz, here are a couple more tries. I think the one with the settings you suggested is probably the best. I’m sure I could keep running it but I think I’ve got the idea.

Thanks again

1 Like

This is an excellent commentary around images. Thanks for the info as well. I am seeing that the preview looks almost black for something that looks about right on the main canvas for a jarvis processed image. Is that normal? The user who asked me for help indicated it engraved very lightly. I am preparing for an upcoming presentation to our laser group on techniques for image engraving. I really appreciate the new enhancement settings in the shape properties and this helps me frame up how to use them.

Zoom in - Unfortunately I can’t make pixels smaller, and the preview is just plotting the paths that the laser will take, whether they overlap or not, so yes, it’s normal.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.