Framing stopped working after upgrade

Running on MacBook. No software upgrades on Mac. Recently upgraded LightBurn and now framing is not working properly. When I press “frame”, the laser moves along the bottom horizontal side of the square and then to along the left vertical side of the square and then stops at the top right corner. Every time. Framing worked properly before upgrading LightBurn. Anyone else having this issue or is there a fix for it?
Thank you.

I’ve learned that there are a few things that throw framing off.

Open the Console window and type the following:
?
$#
then copy the results of those two queries into a reply here.

If that doesn’t show a work space offset then we’ll reproduce the problem and chase the error message.

Thank you for the reply John. Are you referring to the MacBook/utilities/terminal window? If so, I typed the commands and both returned “command not found”

There’s a Console window in LightBurn that allows communication with the controller in the engraver.

If the Console window in LightBurn isn’t open, or hiding on a tab under an existing LightBurn window you can open it by clicking Window on the top row and wheeling down to Console and clicking that. The check mark shows that it’s active.

Here are the results…
?

<Idle|MPos:87.500,78.538,0.000|Bf:35,4096|FS:0,0|Pn:P|CL:0,100|PS:2,1|ER:685,645|VA:23813,0|Ov:100,100,100|A:S>

ok

$#

[G54:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G55:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G56:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G57:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G58:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G59:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G59.1:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G59.2:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G59.3:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G28:0.000,0.000,0.000]

error:7

EEPROM read failed. Reset and restored to default values.

ok

It looks like the machine didn’t go home - if it is home, it doesn’t think it went home.

Home the machine (jog it home if possible) and then enter the following into the LightBurn Console window:
$10=0
G92 X0 Y0
then press enter.

Without limit switches on your engraver you’ll have to push the engraver head to the home position every time (and before) it’s powered on. This can be tricky as some USB ports can provide keep-alive power to the controller and prevent the ‘power cycle’ from happening.

Your status report is more elaborate than the ones I get from my engravers. I’ll look into your results a little bit further.

You can read more about the home position here:

https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/CommonGrblSetups.html#machines-without-homing-sensors-limit-switches

Please let me know if that solves the framing behaviour problems.

This a Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro. It has limit switches and goes to the correct home position every time when I start the machine and also when I press the “home” button. I’ve tried framing designs that start in the home position and those that start elsewhere on the work surface with the same result. It frames about halfway and then stops.

What happens when it stops? Where does that leave the state of the controller and LightBurn? Any messages in Console at that point?

If you previously ran the $10=0 you’ll probably want to switch this back to $10=2047.

Can you run these commands one at a time in Console following a homing cycle? It looks like the previous run of this didn’t complete properly.

$I
$$
$#
?

If you get an error:7 again with the $# command run it again. Want to make sure there’s not an offset further down.

@OrturTech - Hey Gil, Can you shed some light on this one? I should have moved it into the Ortur section sooner - Thanks.

Also, there was some off-line conversation about the meaning of the EEPROM read failed error. I believe it’s a benign warning based on the Checksum bug but I’d appreciate your thoughts on this.

So here is what appears to be happening. I ran Frame and looked at the console. There is a message that says “Shock and Movement detected!” When I hold the metal frame of the engraver firmly, the Frame option works perfectly without error and completes the entire frame. The laser is mounted to a piece of 26”x26” 3/4 inch particle board but the table that it is sitting on has some motion when the laser operates. I moved the machine to this table at the exact same time that I performed the software upgrade. I never considered that it might be the table causing the issue. I appreciate everyone’s help.

Favour
In console type
$i
press enter
paste here output
then type
$RST=*
press enter
$261=0
press enteR
$262=750
press enter

The last 2 will disable flame sensor and reduce sensitivity of shock but need to see your version of firmware too

$i

[ORIGIN: China]

[PRODUCER: ORTUR]

[AUTHOR: ORTUR]

[MODEL: Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro S2]

[OLF: 185]

[OLH: OLM_ESP_PRO_V1.2]

[OLM: GENERAL]

[DATE:22:44:33 - Oct 25 2021]

[VER:1.1f(ESP32).20210403:]

[OPT:VNMZHSL,35,4096,3]

Target buffer size found

ok

$RST=*

[MSG:Restoring defaults]

ok

Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro S2 Ready!

OLF:OLF 185.

OLH:OLM_ESP_PRO_V1.2.

OLM: GENERAL.

[MSG: Flame detector Inactive. Luminosity too high]

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.