Help Needed with fine-tuning of cutting : Line Shifting

Hi all,

First of all, please bear with me as i’m french and my technical english is limited. In the title I write ‘Line Shifting’, but I am not sure this is the proper way to translate ‘Décalage de Trait’.

Right, so let’s jump into it.
My request refers to the ability to augment/reduce ever so slightly the closed shapes, so that they will fit and hold perfectly together once cut. Somewhere I think I saw this as referred to ‘kerf’ but i am unsure.

See the following shot taken in Layer Property in LB :

If I understand it correctly, this setting is made so that we can fine-tune the cuts, in relation to our beam’s size, in order for the cut shapes to fit firmly together. Am I correct ?
If yes, how to use it? Should I add, or substract, my beam’s width ?

Also, I’ve tried to ‘play around’ with values on a closed shape (a 10x10mm square), but said shape’s dimensions don’t change if I change these ‘décalage de trait’ values. It remains 10x10 no matter the values I set in this box…
Clearly there is something there that I don’t understand.

Perhaps there’s a tutorial out there that I didn’t see ?

Thanks in advance !

As always, if you search for “kerf” you’ll find some info.

https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/CutSettings-Line.html#kerf-offset

1 Like

Brilliant! That was exactly what I was looking for !
Sorry not to have made the search myself, as I really wasn’t confident in the translation, but this clearly shows that I should’ve tried ^^
Anyway, excellent reply as always Willy, thanks !

1 Like

Still working on kerf myself, some of the threads explain it really well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.