How does one compress a circle of objects without changing their sizes?

I created an array of 25 objects (rectangles) by placing them onto a circular path. I worked the size and angle of the rectangles and all is good. Now, I’d like to “shrink” the circle of objects - without changing the shape or orientation of the rectangles. In other words, to tighten it up so it fits inside a smaller circle…but doesn’t change the size of any of the rectangles.

Is there a straight forward way of doing this in LB? Or, do I have to start again with a smaller circle?

Thanks in advance

I think the only way to do that would be for the rectangles to all be separate objects.

Someone who knows more than me might correct me on that.

Another way, would be a robust drawing application, where you could cut and paste the objects into a tighter circle

The tool has “move-h-together” and “move-v-together” functions…but I can’t get them to happen the same way at the same time, to reduce the diameter of the circle…but I think it’s close…

I’m just hoping someone chimes in with, “Gary, you idiot, use the compress grid function!”

There is not a way to do this as you are thinking. You need to have the array objects set to the desired finish size first, then build the array with the spacing you want.

@Rick Ah…OK. Too bad.

I did notice that the path created by a circle is substantially larger than the diameter of the circle itself. In other words, when I distribute it along the path created by the circle, it distributes the rectangles much further from the circle than I thought. I’d like them to be on, or even better, within the circle. Is there an easy way to do that?

@Rick This one I can answer myself:

If you place the object to be copied onto the path before copying it to the path, the objects stay on the path. Not sure why…but I did make it do what I wanted.

Thanks

Except now, I need to rotate each rectangle relative to the center of the circle…not to the workpiece. Is there anyway to do that?

The object copied using the Circle Array remains at the same distances from the path when created.

The post above also has a demo video, while a bit dated, the concepts remain the same.

Awesome! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.