How much computer do I need?

Yes. If you don’t want to manage the backups yourself, go pay $50 or so a year for a Backblaze account so it backs up automatically. I have it on all three of my computers and have had to use it twice and my daughter once. All of those times I was so very happy I had the backups, never questioned the cost again. That way when crap like this happens and you need to buy a new PC, the data can be moved over. PCs are cheap, the data is the expensive part. If your shop is running dual lasers, that means your making money, invest some of it.

Thanks for the sound and helpful advice Kenneth. :slight_smile:

Tim

There is a website called “Ifixit”…they have numerous step by step instructions (and parts) so you could change out the battery yourself…take a look at the site and enter your model number and see if it looks overwhelming.

There are several sites that sell new…I have used “new egg” and they seemed fine to work with…

Hey, thanks Brian!

I guess I should provide an update;

I haven’t really had any problem getting into the guts of my laptop - done it about ten times now in the process of tracking down the problem. New battery didn’t fix anything. With the new battery it did the same thing as with the old battery - nothing, computer didn’t even turn on.

So I went back to using it with no battery (connected to the charger), though it was slow. In the meantime I ordered a charge receptacle for all of about $6.00 from Amazon. Showed up, I installed it (about five minutes - simple!). I turned on the computer thinking I was going to have to start shopping for a new one, but voila! Fixed! Computer’s working sweet, fast and charging the battery. No more annoying bios missing battery message!

Still though, I feel I should heed the advice of others here who suggest getting a dedicated desktop (and automatic cloud backup).

Tim

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.