Importing DXF (padding, padding, title must be at least 15 characters)

Thank you for your lovely message. It’s not pathetic - it’s the reality of software development. Decisions were made relatively early on about how the internals of LightBurn would work, and we followed the lead of most existing laser software so that people transitioning from those to LightBurn would not have to learn a completely new way of working.

Color is irrelevant to a laser, so it’s used to visually denote different types of operation. In software like Vectric Aspire, they have a “selection set” for each operation, and no colors are displayed at all. In LightBurn, the operation has a color, and each shape is assigned a single operation, and is displayed in the color assigned that operation. There are many, many things coded into the software knowing this is how it works, and we have about 80000 users who are used to it. Changing it to match the arbitrary whims of one user is unlikely.

What you consider “doing it properly” is your opinion. What you see as garish I see as a very quick way to determine what’s going to happen to any vector on my screen. The more negatively you present yourself here, the more likely you are to be ignored.

As I previously said, I could add an option to the software to make it ignore the colors and use the layers instead. The layers would still be colored when in LightBurn, but your layer names and groupings would be preserved.

1 Like

Please do. That would be awesome. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

About two months ago I asked why LightBurn does not handle imported DXF layers properly.

At the end of the thread it was suggested that a method of doing it properly could be implemented. I am wondering if this is present in v1.0?

We heard you the first 30 or so times you called LightBurn appalling bad.

Are you familiar with the phrase, “You catch more flies with honey”?