Inconsistent laser intensity on surface

So, this could very well be a hardware issue as well. Honestly, I’m not sure. But I’m new to using a laser, so here’s the issue. I’m using a 15W Ortur Laser Maser 2. The first few projects I did were my logo on an 1/8" piece of plywood, and it worked beautifully.

So then I decided to burn a much larger sampling of monograms and fonts on a scrap piece of hard maple. In doing so, the laser was very inconsistent in terms of the burn. Within the same line/phrase or image, parts were much darker than other parts. And the surface is completely level. Similarly, I tried to burn straight lines on my work surface to help line pieces up, and got the same inconsistent results.

See attached photos for examples. Does anyone have any advice on settings I can change in Lightburn to help with this? I did try slowing it down a bit, but that didn’t seem to help too much.

Thanks in advance!!

I noticed on your vertical shot that the lines turn dark as the grain changes. It may be the material you’re using here.

The other boards don’t show that I don’t think.

Is this a new issue?

:smiley_cat:

I would agree - from observation only, the burn difference appears to relate to the underlying wood color. As the wood color gets lighter - the burn gets lighter. I am not a laser expert (still trying to get mine to even ‘work’) but from what I think I know - a lighter material will require more power to burn as lighter material does not absorb the heat energy of the laser (you experts - please feel free to jump in and correct me here).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.