Inkscape path import bug(?)

When an Inkcape file is imported objects with paths that are closed end up not closed in LB. They look and act closed until I “Select Open Shapes”, which smashes all the paths into separate paths which then need to be closed manually.

Is this a bug in LB, or do objects need to be closed a certain way in Inkscape to get LB to recognize them as closed (I’m using Path>Combine)?

I’m trying to use the built-in kerf in LB, which requires closed shapes.

This hasn’t been my experience - If it’s actually a closed path in InkScape there’s a “close path” marker in the shape definition that’s exported, and that’s what LightBurn uses to close it. Can you attach or email an example of a file that you think should be closed but isn’t?

I use Inkscape quite a lot, and yes many shapes that appear to be closed really aren’t.

Draw 3 lines, then move them and connect the ends to make a triangle. Even if the end node on a line “snaps” to the end node on the next line, they are not really a closed shape as evidenced by the fact that you can’t give the shape any “fill”. Even if you select the triangle and use Path> Combine they still aren’t really closed even though it now becomes a single shape instead of 3 objects.
To fully close it, use node select mode and draw a small selection box over the end nodes of 2 lines you want to connect then click the “Join Selected Nodes” tool. Repeat for all 3 corners and presto, it’s suddenly a closed shape and you can fill it. And Lightburn will then accept it as a closed path.

1 Like

File has been sent to support address.

Thank you for this @Hank. Good info that should help others using InkScape. Good post my friend. :slight_smile:

To fully close it, use node select mode and draw a small selection box over the end nodes of 2 lines you want to connect then click the “Join Selected Nodes” tool. Repeat for all 3 corners and presto, it’s suddenly a closed shape and you can fill it. And Lightburn will then accept it as a closed path.

Got it to work using the “Join Selected Nodes” tool.

I was playing with it in Inkscape and it appears that shapes converted to paths automatically have their end nodes converted, but joining several paths needs to be converted manually.

Yes, this is correct.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.